British people are finally honest in a poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Arrested Development also...there seem to be quite a large number of "exceptions"...
    Not really. Both Always Sunny and Arrested Development are prone to a certain level of obviousness, although I love both of them. Arrested Development is probably the closest.

Comment

I don't think you can accuse me of lacking familiarity with British humor, seeing as I am quite fond of Monty Python, Terry Pratchett, and others. I think a lot of the stereotyping about the difference between American and British comedians boils down to American comedy programs being aimed at a broader (often international) audience and consequently focusing on the lowest common denominator. In Britain, you get both British programs and American programs, and the British programs naturally fill a niche that isn't already taken by American ones since they would have difficulty competing given the huge budgets that American programs tend to get. I could be way off base here, but that's my theory.

American comedy movies often have a lot of slapstick, cringe humor, and so on, because it translates well across cultures and appeals to a broad audience. Dark humor, subtlety and irony are a lot harder to sell to a wide demographic.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

The Carry On series of movies were choc full of slapstick and cringe, and there are plenty of modern day equivalents. I would posit your theory could work in reverse just as easily. You only know of British 'niche humour' as you call it because the American market is saturated with crass in your face humour that you don't need more of it. The American made stuff is perhaps better known simply due to volume/'noise'.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I haven't watched much British humour recently, but I used to find that it had a pretty high quotient of toilet humour.

Comment

Seinfeld is actually pretty ****ing hilarious. At least the episodes I've seen are.

Underneath the toilet jokes, South Park has a ton of political commentary, which thanks to its very fast production schedule is usually quite on point.

Comment

I don't think you can accuse me of lacking familiarity with British humor, seeing as I am quite fond of Monty Python, Terry Pratchett, and others. I think a lot of the stereotyping about the difference between American and British comedians boils down to American comedy programs being aimed at a broader (often international) audience and consequently focusing on the lowest common denominator. In Britain, you get both British programs and American programs, and the British programs naturally fill a niche that isn't already taken by American ones since they would have difficulty competing given the huge budgets that American programs tend to get. I could be way off base here, but that's my theory.
              Monty Python was strongly influential to the whimsical nature of British comedy (although it was far from the start of it), but it was also 40 years ago (which seems insane now ). I don't know if you can say British comedy is largely aimed at a niche, or rather whether it's just aimed at a British audience. With a few huge exceptions (like Friends ) a lot of the US stuff that does best over here is the stuff that follows at least a similar style to British humour (I think that's true, I can't think of many exceptions), so the likes of South Park, Family Guy, Arrested Development, Archer etc. I think it's definitely true though that as those kind of shows have impacted on the UK market, British humour has also evolved as people here become more accustomed to them. I disagree with your point about US shows filling the market though, because a lot of US shows still just wouldn't work here. There's usually an expectation of some darkness and sarcasm in our humour, and a lot of US stuff still makes people here roll their eyes. Again that's not a dig, its just the difference in cultures.

I don't know why I keep saying here, considering I'm not even in the UK any more..

American comedy movies often have a lot of slapstick, cringe humor, and so on, because it translates well across cultures and appeals to a broad audience. Dark humor, subtlety and irony are a lot harder to sell to a wide demographic.
              Very true, although as Dauphin says slapstick is hardly a US invention. It's a shame too, because there's a big US audience for the dark stuff but because its still fairly niche in the context of the vast US market, some awesome British comedies have never really crossed over. It also doesn't help that you ****ers keep trying to remake things instead of just enjoying the originals.

If you haven't already btw, check out Spaced & Black Books. Other good suggestions would be Green Wing, IT Crowd and if you like super whimsical stuff then Mighty Boosh is well done (although I'm not a big fan to be honest). I'm assuming you've already watched Father Ted, if not that definitely deserves a place on the list too.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                The Carry On series of movies were choc full of slapstick and cringe, and there are plenty of modern day equivalents. I would posit your theory could work in reverse just as easily..
                I'm so grateful that mainstream slapstick ****ed off. If I'd had to grow up with an endless diet of Benny Hill and Carry on up the Kyber I think I'd have had to kill myself..

Although I still love Sid James for reasons I can't really describe even to myself.

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                I haven't watched much British humour recently, but I used to find that it had a pretty high quotient of toilet humour.
                It used to once upon a time, thankfully far less nowadays. That stuff largely died down in the 80/90's.

Comment

I know some Americans have gotten their hackles up, but I don't think its necessarily objectionable to say that US comedy is more earnest. For instance look at The Office in the UK and the US. Now I vastly prefer the US version (well until Michael leaves), but its much more earnest and the lead is more likable (which makes it far more realistic, IMO). Shows like Archer, Always Sunny, etc are around, true, but they are more niche over here. The big popular comedies aren't like those.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                    If you haven't already btw, check out Spaced & Black Books. Other good suggestions would be Green Wing, IT Crowd and if you like super whimsical stuff then Mighty Boosh is well done (although I'm not a big fan to be honest). I'm assuming you've already watched Father Ted, if not that definitely deserves a place on the list too.
                    I tried, but I couldn't enjoy the IT crowd. I'm not sure if it's because it hit too close to home or not close enough.

Comment

• I found the IT Crowd to be excruciatingly unfunny. It came across to me as a series of transparent and overly extended gags rather than an actual sitcom.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Yeah, I think that's how it felt to me. I tried watching it a while ago so I don't remember it that well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          I tried, but I couldn't enjoy the IT crowd. I'm not sure if it's because it hit too close to home or not close enough.
                          Did you try turning it off and then on again?

Comment

• You can't get more slapstick-ish than Benny Hill. Rowan Atkinson's Mr. Bean and Johnny English are in the same vein.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                              You can't get more slapstick-ish than Benny Hill. Rowan Atkinson's Mr. Bean and Johnny English are in the same vein.
                              Mr Bean was very much a homage back to the old slapstick traditions of British comedy. I didn't enjoy it at all personally, but I know a lot of people did.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                                Unlike the world renowned Balkans humour..
                                Balkan humour is great, Brits would love it, except you need to know the language, for Americans it would be too intellectual.
                                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                                X