Humans Need Not Apply: Fast Food $15 Minimum Wage Strike Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I don't see anything in the specs that would suggest it's capable of putting spit or pubes in the burger if the customer is somehow disagreeable to the staff. So they'll still need to hire humans for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
        Not that we should save fast food jobs for people but really, what do you do with low skill workers?
        Soylent Green
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I celebrated strike day by going to a Jack In The Box and using the kiosk.
          Is this a thing the Evil Conservatives club is doing?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes, but it's better if you can cross a picket line...and they didn't have one.

Comment

Yes, but it's better if you can cross a picket line...and they didn't have one.
              I guess I'll have to do the same in solidarity.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Will this have any impact on the amount of diarrhea I get from fast food?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes, probably. Higher quality food for less money.

...I don't necessarily mean from the automated shops either, BTW.

"Human Created" artisan food will become a thing, and drive a premium, if only because they will not be able to compete on price alone anymore.

Comment

So McDonalds and others will stop serving meat slurry burgers?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This is why you should never, ever watch sausage being made.

Comment

idgaf about meat slurry burgers.

Tonight my dinner was two big spoonfuls of peanut butter plus I ate a brick of ramen noodles raw and washed it down with a ****ton of water (it turns your stomach if you don't do that).

Oh yeah and a three day old apple fritter.

****. I could go for some burger king. Wonder if they're still open.

Comment

I just opened a yogurt. Key lime pie flavored. Pretty good but more importantly it has a ton of calories. **** progresso soup, I hate that ****. 120 calories for the whole ****ing can, **** you that's a waste of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                            Not that we should save fast food jobs for people but really, what do you do with low skill workers?
                            You can always have low, or near zero unemployment - the only question is whether the society wants to bear the costs of doing so (either educational - which is the correct avenue, or only governmental, ie workers remain low skilled, but employed).
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

The tax and welfare system should be set up so that it automatically adjusts to people's preferences for work/leasure.

There should be fairly high marginal taxes so that there are enough money to pay to the people who are not working. The amount being paid to unemployed however should be fixed and individual benefits should decrease as number of unemployed increases.

however we are no where near having not enough work for humans yet. It is still mostly tight money and too rigid labor markets.
                              Quendelie axan!

Comment

We don't have enough work for humans increasingly due to automation. It will likely hit a critical mass sooner than you think, and that's what we need to prepare for.

My goal would be a flat tax, a flat Basic Income uneffected by that tax, and a gutting of the tax and welfare systems that came before.

People will thereby be able to have their preferences for work / leisure met by deciding to work on the remaining marketable skills, or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X