X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sava View Post
    You should write movie reviews
    He should not.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
      Lost in Translation was about that intangible muffled desperation/melancholy that sometimes permeates life and about how two people who at first glance don't share that much could be emotionally identical in some respects.
      It was a good film I thought.
      I think the mark of a really great film or book is the ability to be about something deep or profound while actually telling a story. A merely good film at least tells an entertaining story. Meditating on people's emotions while nothing of any great or lasting consequence occurs is simple onanism, and there's an annoying modern trend of mistaking this onanistic tendency for "high art" or what-have-you. Like my college creative writing prof who wanted us to write "character-centered fiction." Took a while before I realized that meant fiction about characters who were self-centered; basically Harry Potter 5, but without all the magic stuff.

Anyway, if you're not going to have a story, you should at least have the decency to let people know from the start not to expect one. I remember watching that whole movie, expecting the plot to establish itself any minute, and then the credits rolled. Eh. I suppose it all comes down to tastes, like everything else, but crikey, that was pointless. Maybe it's different for non-aspies, who can watch people act awkwardly adrift for two hours and not feel like they're watching their own social lives?
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

BTW, anyone who likes Lost in Translation has absolutely zero moral standing when referring to molly bloom as pretentious.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I watch far better pretentious movies (such as Terrence Malick films)
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Aw... what's the matter Elok? Not enough explosions for you?
            No neatly defined baddies for captain america to fight?

I'm joking with you

Actually I was surprised when you described Lost in Translation as a deeply artsy film. It is a good film but I wouldn't give it that description.
            That's fine, you didn't "get it".

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              I watch far better pretentious movies (such as Terrence Malick films)
              You have also expressed approval for Star Wars Episode III.
              1011 1100

Comment

EVERYONE SHOULD
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

EVERYONE SHOULD
                  Eps II and III are decent when you skip past all the Padme and Anakin scenes.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The duel between Anakin/Vader and Obiwan is excellent right up until Anakin screams "FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE MEAN TO ME."
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Comment

II is atrocious and has almost no redeeming qualities. I rate TPM above it, so long as you ignore all the Jar Jar crap.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The prequels should have been about obi-wan and not anakin.

The droid robots were stupid.

The clones should have been the bad guys.

Comment

And I'll be real here... Empire is my favorite movie (of Star Wars, maybe top 5 overall), but I can't stand the Dagobah scenes or the scenes when they are in the asteroid.

I think Ep 4 is the only one I can stand to watch beginning to end.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              II is atrocious and has almost no redeeming qualities. I rate TPM above it, so long as you ignore all the Jar Jar crap.
                              No.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Read an article on Cracked (yeah, I know, there went my "good taste" cred, assuming I even had any) that said Topher Grace taught himself to edit by taking the three prequels and condensing them into one not-crappy movie where Jar Jar never appears. Sadly, it is not available for the general public to view.
                                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X