Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Libertarians join forces to establish a Galt's Gulch in Chile. It goes exactly as one would predict.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libertarians join forces to establish a Galt's Gulch in Chile. It goes exactly as one would predict.

I saw this on another website and thought I would share it here.

Those familiar with Atlas Shrugged know of Galt's Gulch - a remote valley where the prime movers of society could flee from government coercion and watch the world burn, once bereft of their contributions.

Well, a bunch of Ayn Rand fans decided to make it reality, to purchase a property in Chile where they could build a proper Objectivist enclave and live in in non-coercive harmony.

It looks kinda nice:

Galt's Gulch Chile is a serene and secluded valley, enveloped with scenic mountains, offering organic farming, copious amounts of fresh clean water, off-grid energies, endless vistas, beautiful sunsets and complete privacy from the outside world!

- although one should heed this warning:

The information on the Galt’s Gulch Chile website (Galt's Gulch Chile - To your freedoms http://www.galtsgulchchile.com/ ) and related information only has validity within the country of origin. As such, it is not an offer, solicitation, advertisement, inducement, agreement, or contract. Furthermore, this information on the and all contents is specifically restricted, invalid, and void where prohibited, controlled, permitted by law, or could incur a tax, and therefore should be disregarded except for pleasure and entertainment purposes.
    Well, long story short - it turns out that a philosophy that teaches that pursuing one's own happiness is a moral purpose and that laissez-faire capitalism is the only defensible system just may attract the sort of people you shouldn't trust with your money...

http://gawker.com/ayn-rands-capitali...b-1627574870?x Ayn Rand's Capitalist Paradise Is Now a Greedy Land-Grabbing ****storm

Basically, the creators of the scheme talk a great game, put on a great facade, and appear to have little if any idea of what they're doing. They'll sell subplots that are actually too small to be legal, they'll borrow money and run up debt, the actual ownership and structure has deteriorated into a maze of companies owning other companies.

One of the originators has even gotten fed up:

But you can still buy an estate there for $500,000, if you also extend them a $2,000,000 loan - which they'll totally repay. Any takers?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

The inhabitants of Galt's Gulch in the book were proven creators who built their own enterprises, and understood how to work. Seriously. It was invitation only, and they didn't want deadweights.

Any of those here?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
      proven creators who built their own enterprises, and understood how to work.
      So, in other words, the complete opposite of Ayn Rand?
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It's too bad we don't have more libertarians here at Apolyton ...

Comment

Any of those here?
          They are libertarians, TMM. What do you think?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

dpost

Comment

"Here" meaning in the story of the group in Chile.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                So, in other words, the complete opposite of Ayn Rand?
                Ayn Rand was a fairly successful author, much like the authors of Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey. (I mean this in the most dismissive possible manner)

Comment

Reg reads Twilight? Explains many things.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                    Ayn Rand was a fairly successful author, much like the authors of Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey. (I mean this in the most dismissive possible manner)
                    Big deal, so were L. Ron Hubbard and E.E. Doc Smith. Joe Smith was a convicted con-man who founded a religionthat is still going strong.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I'm not trying to say her writing was worthwhile.

Comment

Meyer's? Why do you read her then?

Comment

it just sounds like a bunch of conmen and incompetents. it's also a good example of anarcho-capitalism's flaws.
                          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                            OMG Reg! You posted something I agree with!

Comment

Ayn Rand was wrong. Bioshock proved it!
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X