<marquee> new random thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure. I don't get home from work until 8pm though
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Have they patched it so you can play offline?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• No. You wouldn't really want to, either. Since loot drops per player, there's no loot sniping anymore. Public games are where its at in terms of efficiency.
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by self biased View Post
          Sure. I don't get home from work until 8pm though
          word

I may be heavily inebriated. Shoot me a pm or email.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I'm up to 320 lbs on my bench press!

330 was a big fat NOPE

though, I can probably get to that goal by next weekend
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I biked for 20 minutes. Good thing I'm a creative type.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Biking is a great activity.

Any physical activity is accomplishment worthy of recognition.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I have a pull up bar on my bedroom doorframe. I do a couple whenever I exit or enter the room.

Comment

• That's a great way to squeeze in some body weight exercises

*fingers crossed... I may have a date tonight
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I've never done anything but bodyweight exercises. Never done any lifting. Not sure where to start with it.

Well, I have some 10lb dumbbells but I don't know that those count

Comment

• If you are interested in starting, I would recommend beginning a program with the "holy trinity" of lifting.

Squats. Deadlifts. Bench press (or equivalent).

If you do nothing else but those three, you'll see improvement week to week... maybe even day to day... and will have a solid foundation of strength to build upon.

Start with low weights, work on your form. Build the muscle memory. You can google to find helpful videos. When you feel comfortable with your form, focus on adding more weight. Find out where your max is. If you are lifting by yourself, be sure to take adequate safety precautions.

I like to use the Smith machine (google if you don't know it). While a barbell supposedly offers a better workout by utilizing stabilization muscles, the Smith machine is easy and safe. It will allow you to focus on pure strength without the risk of hurting yourself. Just be sure to set up the safety bars in case the weight is too much.

Once you find your max (the most weight you can do one repetition with), drop down to around 70-80% of that. Try to do 1-4 reps. Do that 2-3 times. Wait 48 hours before working the same muscle group again. If you find you still have more energy, drop the weight down to 50-70% of your max. Try to do around 6-8 reps. Still have energy? Drop the weight a little more... do more reps. If you find yourself being able to do more than 20 repetitions, the weight is too light.

Try "pyramiding" up. Start low, keep adding weight. Keep your repetitions low.

Once you have a good foundation with those three exercises, start to incorporate more into your routine.

Don't pay attention to what others are doing. Don't worry about how much weight you can lift. Don't compare yourself to others. You are a unique individual. While listening to others can be helpful in crafting your own routine, your body is different from everyone elses (EXCEPT YOUR GODDAM CLONE )

I'll be happy to offer advice and/or moral support if you want to start a program. I've been lifting for about 20 years.

There's a lot of conflicting information regarding the "best way" to strength train. The most important thing to remember is, there's more than one way to reach your goal. Whatever exercises or program you decide to do should be tailored to your comfort level.

Machines can be good. Free weights are good. Body weight exercises are good.

Also, nutrition is extremely important. At your size, I would recommend eating a lot of grilled chicken breast. Shoot for 1g of protein per kg of body weight. Though, you are looking to add weight, I'm assuming. So perhaps add about 10-20 grams to that total.

There are also lots of other good sources of protein. Canned tuna seems to be a favorite among bodybuilder types as it has a very high protein to calorie ratio.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Once you get an idea of your strength, set difficult yet attainable goals. Work from there.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I don't care about adding weight, the only reason for me to start lifting is to avoid the sunken chest thing. Worth noting I'm in adequate cardiovascular shape. I can easily run 3 miles.

Comment

• That's good. Endurance will serve you well.

You'll need to eat some serious food if you want to gain weight. The protein will help your body repair and build muscle. I'm just guessing, but you probably have a low body fat percentage.

You can definitely benefit from strength training regardless. But going back to the whole notion of attractiveness... having a bit of muscle will certainly make women forget about the height issue.

Lifting can burn a lot of calories. It's unhealthy to not balance that out with an increase in consumption... at any performance level or weight.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• What are your thoughts for those looking to increase fitness but not really muscle mass?
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X