No announcement yet.

Non-achievement achievements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be an actual achievement. For the first time since Dec 23rd that I didn't smoke before bed. I'm currently about 31 hrs since my last session.

I've also walked maybe 20 miles in 2 days (not exaggerating). My feet are blistered as ****.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Usually when that happens, it's not so much the walking as it is the shoes.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yup. I haven't bought new shoes since 2006.

I figured I might be safe since the shoes I wore had a relatively low amount of mileage on them. That was a mistake. Just before where the toes connect, there's a line of blisters (or one large blister) running the width of my foot. But since they're so much towards the front, I can avoid stepping on the area.

I've avoided buying shoes because I'm stubbornly frugal sometimes.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
          Yup. I haven't bought new shoes since 2006.
          ! Incroyable.

Try volunteering at a charity shop.

I have an excellent pair of handmade Italian leather shoes (bought as new) that cost me only £ 5.00 from a shop where a friend works. Also a rather fetching Comme Des Garcons shirt, some black Moschino jeans, a groovy Katherine Hamnett t-shirt and a lot of other low priced clothes . I prefer to buy secondhand- if there aren't any holes, or isn't any serious wear, you can bet an item will last longer than one from Primark or Asda (or Walmart in your situation).

And hey, Nina Simone sings about 'Salvation Army counters' in 'Suzanne' too...
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

My wardrobe consists of mostly of t-shirts and athletic shorts. I've got a few suits and some decent business casual stuff. But overall, my give-a-**** for fashion is non-existent.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Just took a huge dump...

And it was a no-whiper
              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I love those
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm about to lose a game of Words With Friends. This is an achievement, because I'm pretty ****ing badass at Words With Friends.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I figured I might be safe since the shoes I wore had a relatively low amount of mileage on them. That was a mistake. Just before where the toes connect, there's a line of blisters (or one large blister) running the width of my foot. But since they're so much towards the front, I can avoid stepping on the area.
                    My current shoes were bought in 2005. I was going to replace them, but I thought, hey. Why not just try for the decade.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

How often do you run, BK?

IIRC, that's your sport. I think this may be the one subject I would refer (or reefer) to your expertise.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

IIRC, that's your sport. I think this may be the one subject I would refer (or reefer) to your expertise.
                        What are you wanting running to do for you, Sava? I'm happy to offer advice.
                        Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 8, 2014, 10:00.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I have a few different goals. Weight loss. Endurance. Raising overall fitness level. Increasing my sprinting ability (more for the stop and go nature of hockey).

I'm at 237 lbs. I want to be at 190. I prefer that 40+ pounds of weight loss be in the form of fat loss.

For now, I'm just walking a lot. Once my muscles, joints, tendons and all that get a little stronger, I will hopefully graduate to actual running.

I've always been a dense guy (in more way than one). My "thrust to weight ratio" was always pretty good for short distances, but with running, I simply could never develop the tortoise style pace necessary for longer runs. The endurance to keep myself at or near my max aerobic heart rate was there, but my overall performance sucked.

I'd appreciate any tips you may have.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

My advice is if you are having joint problems to avoid running altogether. I would swim instead if you're looking to build up endurance. Swimming is great for losing weight and is a much better way to get overall muscle development and your cardio in.

If you really must graduate up to running, and sprinting - the bigger thing is to work up a cardio base to where you can walk effortlessly for say - two hours at a stretch.

It sounds like a lot, but if you can walk for two hours straight, no breathing issues you're ready to work on sprinting. Breathing issues are big here.

Now - for sprinting, go to the track.

Try, walking around the track for a couple of hours and see what your joints are telling you about it. I don't want you to push it too much or too quickly. Get a feel for the spring.

After you've gotten to this point, next step:

Once you get a sense of the spring and your balance- start with running 100m, but not fast. Slow.

You want to get your mechanics right when you haven't run. Jog the 100m at whatever speed feels comfortable. Then stop, walk the track.

Jog 100m, do the same, and repeat till you get tired. Don't worry about times, worry about distance and keep track how many sets you managed to do.

If you can do 10 sets of the 100m, walking for 300m, several times, you're ready for the next step.

Try 10 sets of 100m on, 100m off, 100m on, 100m off, but just jog.

The point you want to try actual sprinting is when you're ready to go for 400m (one full lap) just jogging, 100m, walk, 400m and you're not winded after 10 sets.

Once you've got that done:

100m sprints, as hard as you can go. Then walk for 400m. 10 sets. Stop the session whenever you get winded or achy - listen to your body. If you can only do 1, that's fine. But try to do more. Don't push it.

Then go to 100m sprints with 200m off, (half a lap), walking, then 100m sprints for 200m off. 10 sets.

Then go to 100m, on and 100m off. 10 sets of that.

When you're ready for it you'll be able to do 400m sprints with 100m rest and do a 10 set of that. You'll have no problems with anything hockey can throw at you.

Comment

(did my thanks show up? )

What would be indicative of a breathing issue?
                              The two days prior to yesterday, I was able to walk for about 2.5 hrs each day. However, I split the sessions up in half to rehydrate (and rest for about 15 mins).

I suspect my shoes may have been the ultimate culprit behind my joint pain... in addition to giving me some god awful blisters.

That reminds me, any advice on blister prevention? My new shoes are coming today. Hopefully, that solves some of the problem. Have you dealt with blister problems before?
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What would be indicative of a breathing issue?
                                Feeling winded. If you can walk through and feel fresh (not worrying about hydration, etc) for 2.5 hours you've got a good enough cardio base to start training.

How are the knees?

The two days prior to yesterday, I was able to walk for about 2.5 hrs each day. However, I split the sessions up in half to rehydrate (and rest for about 15 mins).
                                Try a full session and see how you feel.

I suspect my shoes may have been the ultimate culprit behind my joint pain... in addition to giving me some god awful blisters.
                                Yeah, I would dump them, but break the new ones in before continuing on your training.

That reminds me, any advice on blister prevention?
                                Wear socks - break the shoes in before training in them. Don't worry if you have to go a while before you train again. It's more important that you keep your feet healthy than try to run on blisters.

I use the moleskin bandages to tape up when I get them, but the best way to avoid them is to wear good socks and wear shoes that fit well and are broken in with your feet. Socks are really important.

What stretches are you doing?

My new shoes are coming today. Hopefully, that solves some of the problem. Have you dealt with blister problems before?
                                Yeah, blisters are a *****. I have had blisters, tendon problems (had two Achilles tendon pulls in the same year).

Do you want a stretching regimen?

Comment

Working...
                                X