Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The House Republicans in U.S. Congress are pathetic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My complaint against PR is that you get little chance to pick a candidate, the party has a bigger say over who is on the list. This is true for FPP, where people can be parachuted in, but it is easier to get a groundswell against such activities or people who piss off the local electorate on a personal (not party) level.

I prefer STV.
    It works fine for urban ridings and should be confined to them. The problem is that every implementation I've seen reverses this.

If you retain all the rural seats, and use STV for urban seats, you get the best of both worlds - the party lists only have significance in an urban riding, and rural ridings get to keep their local representatives.

What actually happens is this.

The BC STV proposal had 85 MLAs in 20 STV seats. Depending on how you draw the lines, it's possible to eradicate all the rural representation.

You'd also get oddities where a party (say the greens), win 10 percent of the total and get 10 percent of the 50 percent (and zero of the rest), so they would get 5 seats. All 5 would be in areas that they did extremely poorly.

You could have ridings under this setting where 60, 70 percent of the people vote one way and they end up with a representative who earned 5 percent of the votes in that area.

The other thing is that because of the cutoff, you'd see little incentive for smaller parties to form. There would be zero incentive to campaign in rural ridings, as you could earn their seats just by doing well in urban areas.

I don't honestly see how STV is more democratic than FPTP.
    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 1, 2014, 08:24.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

BK, if you support my dictatorship, I will give you a country to do with as you please.

... and something in the developed world too
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
        This all seems complicated. You guys should put me in charge.

Then things will get done!
        I thought you already were in charge?

Well, now I have to find another reason that the world is so ****ed up
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

trust me, you would love it if i were in charge
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

To be fair to MrFun, the circle jerk ripping on him is not exactly comprised of great original thinkers.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

This is Poly; what do you expect?
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Breakfast and a blowjob usually?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

From Poly? Ok, I'll let Aeson know...

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It'll likely come from Aeson though

Comment

no such thing as a bad breakfast
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I think he uses teeth... um, to make his eggs.

Comment

To get a clean break, I've found this utensil to be useful.

also makes it easy to separate the yolk
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                              To be fair to MrFun, the circle jerk ripping on him is not exactly comprised of great original thinkers.
                              They find me to be so fascinating, that they turn every thread topic I make, into about me.

Don't discuss the issue; attack the person.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                                They find me to be so fascinating, that they turn every thread topic I make, into about me.
                                You're really the only person they can conceivably pile on (and maybe serb/ellestar)... which is why they do it.

Personally, I find it to be a clever troll (even if you are serious).
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X