Can't stand windows 8 so stuck with dud computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't stand windows 8 so stuck with dud computers

I'm typing on a keyboard attached to my new(ish) i7 laptop which has a broken keyboard.

My other laptop has a broken harddrive with some awful graphics error so won't play the games I like, Cod, total war. Rome total war 2 just froze on this one. The new comp won't play the old games.

I dug out two old laptops of mine my sons were using but they are spammed beyond belief.

Going cold turkey on gaming isn't easy

I won't buy another PC with windows 8, it sucks so much. I have zero confidence in that operating system

Basically I'm screwed

But at least it means I'm here more often
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Don't they have a computer shop on Nauru?

It's worth the money to buy yourself something that is working. You can still get Win 7 too.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I'm in Sydney, Mrs Horse is unwell
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Look for refurbished laptops. A lot of them will come with 7.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, even easier - why is this even a question, unless you enjoy using broken stuff until it dies, make it a summer cleaning exercise and get yourself a new Win 7 PC or a few.
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            Look for refurbished laptops. A lot of them will come with 7.
            I'm thinking of refurbing the ones I have, or joining them together in a mega bad package

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
              unless you enjoy using broken stuff until it dies
              I am from that generation - Mrs Horse has been saying, since January according to her today, I should just go out and buy myself a new PC.

I just can't bring myself to do it.

Comment

why all the love for laptops?

they are horrendous gaming machines
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I use it when I travel. Otherwise you're 100% correct. At least my laptop can handle civ IV.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                    I use it when I travel.
                    This is the only practical use for a laptop I can think of.

To be fair though, I'm biased against them because I had an Alienware that turned into a multi-thousand dollar brick just days after the warranty expired.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ouch.
                      I am looking for a replacement Laptop. It doesn't need to be a true gamer's computer but it has to run some of the less graphically challenging pc games.

I really was looking to go light weight and was checking out the surface. But when I found out the keyboard ($150) is not included, (despite them showing it as a main feature in almost every ad) just leaves a sour taste in my mouth and will make me not buy it just out of principle.

How about other 2 in 1 type laptops? Are there any decent ones for less than a grand?
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I bought a refurbed laptop here with a 7 disk for 40 bucks for the 7 disk and 350 for the laptop. Not even 400 USD. It's a smallish laptop that I use constantly. I'm sure Australia would hold similar treasures.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                          why all the love for laptops?

they are horrendous gaming machines
                          I travel a lot, although I'm finding laptops are not as robust as they are made out to be.

also my kids told me a few years to get laptops, I said desktops were way better, now they say laptops suck. I enjoy reminding them of that

Comment

Working...
                          X