Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elok & C0ckney's religion and society thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elok & C0ckney's religion and society thread.

Because I felt like rescuing this discussion from the gay bakery thread before it vanished into the arguing-with-BK abyss.

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
    i think also that some of the things you're saying here about the decline of churches, and of their influences echo our discussion a few weeks ago. however, they seem to reflect more what i was saying; you took a much more positive stance, talking about a revival and so on. has something changed? or have i read it wrong?
    It's complicated. My opinion does shift back and forth depending on whether my mood is "morbid" or "very morbid" at the moment, but I think it's basically a matter of short term versus long term. Short term, Christianity is in for a pounding, yes. But I do think this is partly the consequences of the diabolical bargain of the Religious Right playing out. Also, at some point following the sexual revolution, Christians made the prim decision to largely cut themselves off from the broader culture, so that there's now a sort of Christian bubble completely isolating us and we have no real voice in society. All this will have to play out, and I don't know how long it will take. I do believe that, at the end of it, we will be quite leery of future entanglements with Leviathan.

Shortly after that conversation, I read God in the Dock by C.S. Lewis. It's a collection of essays; in one of them, entitled "Meditation on the Third Commandment," he considers the question of a "Christian Party," and manages to inadvertently but quite accurately predict what happened here: political Christians weren't a big enough bloc to wield influence by themselves, so they allied with another group, compromising their principles along the way. Corruption, disgust and disillusionment set in, and since the GOP identified itself so strongly with Christianity, it took Christianity down along with it. Lewis came to the same conclusion I had before I read the essay: we need to keep politicians at arm's length, and make them court our votes. I think religion took longer to wither over here in part because we have no established church. It needs to stay that way.

As to why it did wither, I don't believe it has to do with people getting more "rational," or putting more faith in science, or what-have-you. Almost all current arguments against God have been around since Classical times. Yes, unbelief is correlated with level of education, but I believe this is because level of education is correlated with prosperity. People stop praying when they stop believing, but also when they don't feel they have much left to pray for; as the Good Book tells us, a soft, settled existence is quite inimical to religious faith.

The Western world has had more than fifty years without a major war, and epidemics and famines have ceased. We would be fools to expect that to last. Climate science indicates it almost certainly won't, and if that doesn't do it, we're also looking at a world where the U.S. is no longer willing or able to play world nanny. Conflicts are springing up all over the place. I don't believe we can keep it all down. When the **** hits the fan, I expect either a resurgence of religiosity or a sudden enthusiasm for charismatic dictators. I'm not quite pessimistic enough to expect the latter.

To speak of the U.S. in particular: religious affiliation is way down among my generation. Partly this goes along with what I've already said about material comfort--we've prolonged adolescence to a ludicrous extent (Lord knows I did). Even so, most of the much-ballyhooed "Nones" are not atheists; they tend to be spiritual-but-not-religious. I don't think that's a long-term stable state for most people. Some may become hard atheists, some may go back to traditional religion, some may organize their spirituality to make whole new religions. Hard to say how many will go where.

Okay, that's enough for now. Could say more, but there's other stuff I should be doing.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Religion has become culture.

And culture do define outcomes.

However even there, religion is secondary.
    What comes first is level of socioeconomic development.

Then comes consciousness a pesky little thing which is pervesive and can fvck up every so called (de) evolution.

Will all that change affinity to God?
    Probably not.

Comment

The Western world has had more than fifty years without a major war, and epidemics and famines have ceased. We would be fools to expect that to last. Climate science indicates it almost certainly won't, and if that doesn't do it, we're also looking at a world where the U.S. is no longer willing or able to play world nanny. Conflicts are springing up all over the place. I don't believe we can keep it all down. When the **** hits the fan, I expect either a resurgence of religiosity or a sudden enthusiasm for charismatic dictators. I'm not quite pessimistic enough to expect the latter.
      I suspect we're in for an age when blaming the evil Republicans makes no sense as society collapses. The US for all her faults is a helluva lot better as is than a world where the US doesn't play a factor.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

US has dissapeared. That is uncontested.
        The one thing that has hold peace (in the western world) is the EU.
        Religious consciousness could come back en force if there was a sort of societal meltdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
          US has dissapeared. That is uncontested.
          Uncontested?

How have we disappeared? Our culture, our businesses, and our military are all globally omnipresent.

The one thing that has hold peace (in the western world) is the EU.
          What do you mean 'has hold peace'? Since when? During the Cold War (you surely joke)? During the 1990's and 2000's? Going forward?
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Well, one hears US and goes what?!
            Omnipresent in what?
            Groveling to choose one energy route instead of another?
            Military strength? Where? In far away lands like , hmm can't think of any.
            Last edited by Bereta_Eder; July 16, 2014, 20:27.

Comment

Omnipresent in what?
              Militay strength? Where? In far away lands like , hmm can't think of any.
              Where?

Dude, the Marine Corps is on your doorstep. Literally. Black Sea Rotational Force
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Erm, sorry to burst your bubble but even Greece, Turkey or Russia can blow you out of the water.
                We don't even know you're there.
                BUT keep having a walk around, if that makes you feel good

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  Are you arming yourself in anticipation of the **** hitting the fan?
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Erm, sorry to burst your bubble but even Greece, Turkey or Russia can blow you out of the water.

You're in a fantasy world if you believe that. Trust me. You can't fathom what we are capable of conventionally. Until you join the US military, you truly don't even have an iota of a conception of how devastating our conventional power is.

The last 13 years of war has not weakened the US military at all. In fact, it's the exact opposite. You have no idea just how many weapon systems, vehicles, and how much gear has been developed and purchased with the massive military spending over the past 13 years. Think logically. Where did all those trillions of dollars go?

It went to turning the US military of 2001 which was comparatively weak, ill-equipped, and under-trained from a decade of no major ground operations since Desert Storm to the US military today which is a technological behemoth in comparison.

That also doesn't change the fact that we are partnered with every country in the Balkans, including Greece, as well as the Caucasus nations. Global is an understatement.

Comment

Ok.
                      Nice vehicle smile
                      You are allied with us.
                      With russian antiballistic S-300 missiles, patriot systems, the best med fleet, missile systems that can blow a fly out of the sky. F16s that can block the sun.
                      Ok.
                      We are allied

Comment

Ok.
                        Nice vehicle smile
                        You are allied with us.
                        With russian antiballistic S-300 missiles, patriot systems, the best med fleet. F16s that can block the sun.
                        Ok.
                        We are allied
                        I do not understand what you are trying to say.

Comment

I'm not trying to say anything.
                          Just that "security" is a collective two-way street. and that US is only here (there, anywhere) because it is allowed to be.

Comment

I'm not trying to say anything.
                            Just that "security" is a collective two-way street. and that US is only here (there, anywhere) because it is allowed to be.
                            And again, how does that mean we are not global?

You posted:

Omnipresent in what?
                            So you admit you are wrong. Our military is global, including in the Balkans.

Comment

Omnipresent in what?
                              We have the biggest and most diversified economy, have the most powerful military, and are the only country ever to put our people on the moon.

Hell, we're even the number one oil producer now.

Greece is a **** hole that can't pay its bills, and hasn't done anything noteworthy in over two thousand years. You invented democracy? So the **** what? We overthrew your democracy when it suited our purposes.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X