Ashers Baking Company: 'Gay cake' row could end up in court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashers Baking Company: 'Gay cake' row could end up in court

A Christian-run bakery that refused a customer's request to make a cake with a slogan supporting gay marriage rights could face legal action.

Ashers Baking Company declined an order from a gay rights activist, asking for cake featuring the Sesame Street puppets, Bert and Ernie.

The customer also wanted it to feature the logo "Queerspace", a Belfast-based campaign and support group.

The County Antrim firm could face legal action from the Equality Commission.

The watchdog confirmed it is assisting the customer whose order was refused and has written to the baking company on his behalf.

The bakery, which has been operating for more than 20 years, is run by the McArthur family.

In an online statement, general manager for the company, Daniel McArthur said: "The directors and myself looked at it and considered it and thought that this order was at odds with our beliefs.

"The following Monday we rang up the customer to let him know we couldn't take his order."

The Christian Institute said it is supporting the bakery in the stance it has taken.

In a statement, The Equality Commission for Northern Ireland said: "In this case the commission has granted assistance to the complainant, and has written to the company concerned on his behalf.

"The commission will consider any response before taking further action.

Northern Ireland is now the only part of the UK which has not passed a law to introduce same-sex marriage.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	_76112217_gaymarriagecake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	9135987

Irony of ironies...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

"The Christian Institute"

what a joke

those people need to get real jobs
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-28206581

Some Christians want their cake and eat it...

Comment

We were told 'gay marriage would have no negative repercussions.'

Apparently that was a lie.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes Ben, those poor gay people being discriminated by those evil Christian bakers...

I'm glad you agree that these Christians are in the wrong here.

Comment

These wedding cake idiots need to go do something with themselves. Honestly, you are making a cake with two grooms. Get the **** over it.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

These wedding cake idiots need to go do something with themselves. Honestly, you are making a cake with two grooms. Get the **** over it.
              So you're ok with shutting down businesses because they reject gay marriage? Interesting form of 'tolerance'. Perhaps we should shut down all businesses catering to gay marriage.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                So you're ok with shutting down businesses because they reject gay marriage? Interesting form of 'tolerance'. Perhaps we should shut down all businesses catering to gay marriage.
                We've already been through the "coloreds only". The same arguments for "heteros only" apply.

Get the **** out of my country.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  We've already been through the "coloreds only". The same arguments for "heteros only" apply.
                  Ben admitting he's a racist as well as a homophobe...

Comment

CLY blacks wanted all governmnet services shut down when they were demanding equal rights

Good luck they didn't get what they wanted.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

First amendment to the US constitution protects freedom of religion.

Get the **** out of my country.
                      What's next, shutting down Jewish businesses for flying an Israeli flag? Hey, I'm not the fascist here.

Comment

This stuff will be taken care of with an extension of current anti-discrimination laws.

Bigots will be angry.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ben admitting he's a racist as well as a homophobe
                          We've been down this road before. Legally a business is permitted to decline clients that it does not want. This business has a specifically Christian brand.

Comment

This stuff will be taken care of with an extension of current anti-discrimination laws
                            With what? The Gestapo?

Again, you're ok with shutting down privately owned Christian businesses that cater to a Christian clientele?

Comment

But if we do, the crocodiles will kill us all!

Making up stuff
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X