Freedom of religion ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom of religion ....

Christian fanatics need to be careful what they wish for.

Freedom of Religion at Work: Satanist Statue Getting Ready to be Placed at Oklahoma’s Statehouse
    May 2, 2014 By Allen Clifton 225 Comments

There’s a saying I’m sure most of you have heard, “Be careful what you wish for.” It’s often aimed at those who seem so passionate about getting their way on a particular issue that they’re unable to see the bigger picture.
    Take for instance when a monument depicting the Ten Commandments was erected in front of Oklahoma’s Statehouse. Though our Constitution sets up a separation of church and state, they managed to use a “donation loophole” to justify a religious symbol being placed at a government facility. They’re just so clever, aren’t they?

Well, in a true example of “two can play that game,” the Satanic Temple went ahead and raised some money of their own to build a statue worshipping Satan that they plan to display on the very same Oklahoma Statehouse.

I mean, it’s “freedom of religion,” right? Some people worship Satan, therefore making it a religion.
    That’s the “status quo” these people set when they start trying to mix religion and politics. It’s not just your religion that gets interjected (unconstitutionally by the way) into government, but everyone’s. If they want to interpret “freedom of religion” in that way, it cannot be just Christianity that gets to reap the benefits.

From Vice:
    The Baphomet, which will stand seven feet tall and be a testament to the glory of the Angel of the Bottomless Pit, would be placed directly beside the sculpture glorifying the laws given to Moses by the Christian God.
    What can Oklahoma really do? If they reject it, then they’re basically establishing a religion – which is unconstitutional. You can’t be proponents for “freedom of religion,” then tell another religion that they don’t have the rights to that very same “freedom.”

Maybe this is why our Founding Fathers seemed to go out of their way to make no mention of Christianity in our Constitution. Religion by itself is a topic that throughout all of humankind has constantly caused conflict. Government is another entity that’s often controversial and confrontational. Usually the more someone (or some group) tries to mix the two, the more they’re trying to control people.
    Which is exactly what conservatives want. They don’t want a government based on freedom of religion and our Constitution, they want a theocracy where their warped version of Christianity is what controls people’s lives.

And even though I’m a Christian, I personally cannot wait to see how Oklahoma handles this Satanic statue. Because if they are true advocates for “freedom of religion” and the freedom to use loopholes in getting around our separation of church and state, then they really have no other choice but to allow it to stand.
    Though we all know this isn’t about freedom for all religions, just their religion.
    - See more at: http://www.forwardprogressives.com/f....XPrLb8sy.dpuf
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Okay, I'll bite.

What legal tradition did Baphomet establish?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Let me guess, you (MrFun) are expecting a bunch of Christians to come in here and say "That's horrible! I didn't mean that" instead of say "Yeah, that's fine", right?

I'm not sure that's actually going to happen the way you want it to.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
        Okay, I'll bite.

None, as far as I know. I suppose American Muslims could push to have Baphomet replaced on that argument, and have a statue of some sort that pays tribute to any Muslim contribution to legal tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          Let me guess, you (MrFun) are expecting a bunch of Christians to come in here and say "That's horrible! I didn't mean that" instead of say "Yeah, that's fine", right?

I'm not sure that's actually going to happen the way you want it to.
          You give BK too much credit if you think he will show any restraint.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
            None, as far as I know. I suppose American Muslims could push to have Baphomet replaced on that argument, and have a statue of some sort that pays tribute to any Muslim contribution to legal tradition.
            Hammurabi would work. Confucious might.

Comment

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over whaling on Diablo's ass. Man that pink lightning is massively overpowered.

Oh, I'm supposed to be offended at Satanists openly worshipping him?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Hammurabi would work. Confucious might.
                Neither of which were really religious figures.

Comment

And of course, I still have BK on Ignore. Maybe some nutcase I don't have on Ignore yet, like Slowwy, will give me some entertainment.

Comment

I'm not talking about religious figures, I'm talking about founders of legal traditions, like Moses or Hammurabi, having monuments in front of a courthouse, where they practice law. Pay attention.

Comment

I'm not talking about religious figures, I'm talking about founders of legal traditions, like Moses or Hammurabi, having monuments in front of a courthouse, where they practice law. Pay attention.
                      If you think that Americans who want the Ten Commandments up are only thinking of law and not of their own religion (Christianity) you're kidding yourself.

Comment

Suleiman is on the wall in Congress, isn't he?
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

As always, you miss the bigger picture. You don't win heart and minds with something this cartoonish, that can be sidestepped in a moment. It just makes you look foolish.

Comment

Okay, I'll bite.

Lawyers

Comment

Well, Satan does mean 'adversary' or 'accuser'. So clearly Satan is the prosecutor.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X