X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure what you mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
      Might makes right ... as benevolent servant of the peoples I have unilaterally decided the ads will stay on Apolyton
      How can you keep adds in the OT? I thought google was washing its hands of the place? Can you get them to accept the OT back or you mentioned you had another plan?

Just curious.

I thought perhaps you were trying to rally support for a new advertising bit with people fondling products.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• The fondling thing was just a joke about what ads tend to be.

Google Adsense is one of countless ad services. Right now there's an Amazon affiliate link on the OT. When I have more time I'll decide on what to do with the OT as far as advertising is concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          The thing is, I simply don't care enough about fashion to bother
          Do you wear trousers out in the real world ? If so, you are making a fashion choice- one that in European terms would have had you marked out as a Celt or a Sarmatian on a wander a few thousand years ago.

If you wear a kilt, then you'd now also be seen as of the Celtic fringe, Irish or Scottish (or possibly from an Asian nation, depending on your ethnicity).

Do you wear linen or cotton/lycra mix, or cotton/poly blends ? Do you wear pure wool pullovers, or 100% cotton shirts, or polyester stretch pants ?

All these are fashion choices, that consciously or unconsciously, you are making.

By not going out wearing the remnants of a potato sack and recycled tyres strapped to your feet, you are still making a choice.

Fine, I'll blame the Irish part of you instead. Lousy woman-hating micks and their crazy clothing ideas.
          Elok, sweetie- it's so fine when you rant about misogynistic homo male fashion designers- it ain't the homo brigade raping and physically abusing women on a daily basis.

Some of us gayfolk like our sisters quite a lot....

Imran watched The Devil Wears Prada
          Me too. Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci give first class performances.

In all honesty, I'd rather pay to watch that than be paid to watch a Steven Seagal film.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Ah, depressed nerdy bureaucrat.

How very de rigueur.

Suits you, sir :

Click image for larger version

Name:	get%u00252Bimage%2BOxford%2BBags5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	9100864

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
              Do you wear trousers out in the real world ? If so, you are making a fashion choice- one that in European terms would have had you marked out as a Celt or a Sarmatian on a wander a few thousand years ago.

If you wear a kilt, then you'd now also be seen as of the Celtic fringe, Irish or Scottish (or possibly from an Asian nation, depending on your ethnicity).

Do you wear linen or cotton/lycra mix, or cotton/poly blends ? Do you wear pure wool pullovers, or 100% cotton shirts, or polyester stretch pants ?

All these are fashion choices, that consciously or unconsciously, you are making.

By not going out wearing the remnants of a potato sack and recycled tyres strapped to your feet, you are still making a choice.
              What you're not getting is that my location (in space and time) would completely determine my fashion "choice." I would wear whatever is cheap and convenient in whatever culture I found myself, because I'm not attempting to express myself artistically in any sense. For me, clothing is simply a way to stay warm and comfortable and to more or less blend in with the nearby humans.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                Better than Joe Misogyny.
                Here's Vivienne Misogyny Westwood :

Name:	dame-vivienne-westwood-503166440.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	9100865

and Coco 'Kill Dem B!tches!' Chanel :

Name:	cocoheader.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	9100866

Comment

What you're not getting is that my location (in space and time) would completely determine my fashion "choice." I would wear whatever is cheap and convenient in whatever culture I found myself, because I'm not attempting to express myself artistically in any sense. For me, clothing is simply a way to stay warm and comfortable and to more or less blend in with the nearby humans.
                  I don't wear djellabas either. Not even in summer. You're missing the point- even unconsciously, you're opting for certain colours, cuts and fabrics, however casually you're iamgining you're doing it.

We live in a highly visual society, with information about clothing/style/fashion bombarding us from newspapers, films, television, hoardings, comics, shopfronts, et cetera.

You're not immune to their blandishments....

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                    Feminists are a much greater evil, using social activism to get advertisers to say what they want them to.
                    Oh sugarplum, do give it a rest for one fricking day.

Comment

I don't wear djellabas either. Not even in summer. You're missing the point- even unconsciously, you're opting for certain colours, cuts and fabrics, however casually you're iamgining you're doing it.

We live in a highly visual society, with information about clothing/style/fashion bombarding us from newspapers, films, television, hoardings, comics, shopfronts, et cetera.

Let's be clear though - theres definitely a different set of factors that contribute to the choices Lorizael makes and the psychological benefits of being recognized and identified as "fashionable" just don't weigh in. Sure, fashion is all around us but being passively or actively involved in its consumption makes a difference.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Alternately I believe in reactionary fashion where you don't know what you do like, but you certainly know what you don't like.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Of course I'm not. But I'm not actually trying to present any particular image. Many people use fashion to make some statement about themselves; I am not doing that. There is some message that will be transmitted, of course, but it's not one I'm consciously sending, and I don't particularly care what that message is.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• I'm also not trying to present the image (through my clothing choices) that I don't care about fashion. If that were the case, I would intentionally wear ratty clothes or clothes that didn't match or what have you, but I don't do that. I just wear whatever is convenient.

Comment

I am not doing that.
                              Sure you are :

For me, clothing is simply a way to stay warm and comfortable and to more or less blend in with the nearby humans.
                              Going incognito ? That's a choice. Just as much as my wearing Pierre Balmain trousers, or hand made Italian shoes. Or a short sleeved shirt made from Nigerian fabric with a typically African design.

I don't care who looks at me and thinks I 'shouldn't' be wearing certain things any more because of my age. I'm not asking them to wear 'em, so what's their major problem ?

I thought the same when I wore safety pins and drainpipe trousers. All those years ago....

Comment

• Besides "The Devil Wears Prada" took on a very ironic meaning when it was known that Pope Benedict XVI was rumored to wear Prada shoes (apparently they weren't Prada, but made by a boutique cobbler just for him)
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X