Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy a house, and if so how much should I spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestics with their own residences? Well, I never...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      Actually, it should be 2 bathrooms per individual. That way you never have to share and you always have a bathroom available while the other is being cleaned.
      Could I see your planning tables? Most tables assume an individual uses the bathroom 6-9 times a day, with 1-3 of those visits being longer (for showering and/or defecation). There's too much unnecessary redundancy in your assessment.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        I'd say 2 individuals to a head is the most efficient distribution while being perfectly comfortable.

I'll be mocked for that comment but if you genuinely sit down and think about it considering wait times, the effects of different usage rates, the necessity of cleaning and the distribution of cleaning responsibilities, etc. and think about your own personal experiences with different ratios of individuals to heads, a 2:1 ratio is probably ideal.

KH would need to have 6 children to maximize the utility of his heads.
        How often do you need to clean a bathroom if it's rarely used?
        [Pets] can't be reasoned with when their instincts kick in and they remember that they're animals. Especially dogs which are genetically 100% wolves. - Al B. Sure!

Comment

• What if I defecate while in the shower?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by 100% Wolf View Post
            How often do you need to clean a bathroom if it's rarely used?
            Even at minimal usage, there's a certain baseline 'maintenance' cleaning required.

But that wouldn't be what's driving inefficiency if you had multiple heads per individual. It simply wouldn't be an efficient use of space and plumbing and be an unnecessary redundancy. Much better to utilize that room for another purpose, such as storage.

Home designers make these considerations. There's been a tendency in the industry in recent years, however, to increase the number of bathrooms vis a vis bedrooms. Fewer Americans are living in larger homes with more bathrooms. A case of the market not providing the most efficient utilization rates.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Do you really want to have to walk upstairs just to use the bathroom because the bathroom downstairs is already taken? That's why you need at least two bathrooms on every floor.
              [Pets] can't be reasoned with when their instincts kick in and they remember that they're animals. Especially dogs which are genetically 100% wolves. - Al B. Sure!

Comment

Even at minimal usage, there's a certain baseline 'maintenance' cleaning required.

But that wouldn't be what's driving inefficiency if you had multiple heads per individual. It simply wouldn't be an efficient use of space and plumbing and be an unnecessary redundancy. Much better to utilize that room for another purpose, such as storage.

Home designers make these considerations. There's been a tendency in the industry in recent years, however, to increase the number of bathrooms vis a vis bedrooms.
                You can put cabinets in a bathroom and store things in them.

How many walk-in closets do you think he really needs? I'm assuming he'll construct a basement to keep his prisoners in.

Comment

Do you really want to have to walk upstairs just to use the bathroom because the bathroom downstairs is already taken? That's why you need at least two bathrooms on every floor.
                  The average human uses the bathroom 6-9 times a day. Obviously, for most people on most days, not all of those uses occur in the home; some occur at work, at public restrooms, etc. You can probably estimate the probability of a bathroom being occupied at any given moment given a certain population, those usage rates, and the average time spent in the bathroom. Aside from certain key periods (such as in the morning), it is doubtful that 2 individuals will have significant enough overlap to produce conflict.

Even so, having to walk upstairs occasionally is a pretty minor 'tax' for the benefit of a correspondingly cheaper domicile or better utilization of square footage.

Comment

You can put cabinets in a bathroom and store things in them.

How many walk-in closets do you think he really needs? I'm assuming he'll construct a basement to keep his prisoners in.
                    Once the bathroom is already constructed, there isn't much you can do about redundant bathrooms. I'm more speaking from a home design standpoint and what I feel is an inefficiency in the market.

Comment

Once the bathroom is already constructed, there isn't much you can do about redundant bathrooms. I'm more speaking from a home design standpoint and what I feel is an inefficiency in the market.
                      So you feel people are too stupid to buy a house with the correct number of bathrooms and you can correct this oversight with your scientific analysis of how often people typically pee?

Comment

So you feel people are too stupid to buy a house with the correct number of bathrooms and you can correct this oversight with your scientific analysis of how often people typically pee?
                        Yes.

It's nothing new or groundbreaking that the free market doesn't always jive with government and/or industry scientific planning data. It's not an indictment on capitalism to recognize that deliberate scientific planning can be, but is not always, more efficient than the wisdom of crowds.

I'm heading to bed because we're going into the field tomorrow. I won't be able to continue this discussion for a week.

Comment

• A case of the market not providing the most efficient utilization rates.
                          You're assuming that homebuyers value having 'efficient utilization rates' over other priorities. .

Also, I think Albie needs to take the sex of the people in question.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I'm reasonably certain the only residences that ever see demand for their bathrooms exceed capacity are college houses hosting large parties where everyone is drinking beer and has to piss every 5 minutes.

I don't think KH is going to host any frat parties. They'll be sipping cognac, not shotgunning PBR and Coors Light.

VVV Better?
                            Last edited by regexcellent; March 23, 2014, 20:55.

Comment

• Chianti is garbage.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• the free market doesn't always jive with government and/or industry scientific planning data
                                The free market supplies individual demand. It cares about what people want.

In this case - there's a bunch of things driving KH's decision. None of which are 'efficient utilization of bathrooms'. KH could care less whether there's 10 bathrooms in the house or 15.

This is one of the things you have to understand about KH's market, Albie. The little nickels and dimes to squeeze things just don't really matter anymore.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X