On this day in history...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On this day in history...

On this day in history in 1942, following an appalling lack of readiness leading up to the war, British General Sir Arthur Percival surrendered Singapore and over 80,000 British and Imperial soldiers to the Imperial Japanese Army, which constituted the largest surrender and greatest disaster in British military history. It's only fitting that an emaciated and recently liberated General Sir Arthur Percival helped receive the final Japanese surrender on board the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay on September 2, 1945, following a complete Anglo-American curbstomp of Japan.

Given that Valentine's Day is over - thank the **** Christ - let's take this opportunity to salute the survivors of Singapore.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

uhm. okay

and really? "follow me on twitter" ??

PFFT
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

from DF's twitter feed:

I have nothing intelligent to add
      couldn't agree more

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Still 100 percent better than Sava's blog.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Okay History experts. I seem to remember that the Japanese force was on the verge of collapse and bluffed Percival into surrendering. Maybe a History channel special?

What's the real story Poly Historians?
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Comment

What's the problem with valentines day?
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

you try finding a date when you have a raging case of libertarianism.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                  Okay History experts. I seem to remember that the Japanese force was on the verge of collapse and bluffed Percival into surrendering. Maybe a History channel special?

What's the real story Poly Historians?
                  The Japanese were short of supplies- but more importantly they controlled the water supply for Singapore, which, like the rest of the British holdings in Malaya, was woefully underprepared, because of the interwar years' economies and depression.

Also the Japanese had spies in place who had kept them up to date on British unpreparedness and military installations and had access to nearby bases in the Vichy French colonies and in 'neutral' Thailand.

It's all very depressing to read about, as is the pointlessness of sending two ships there without adequate air cover just to be seen to be doing something. Thanks again, Mr. Churchill...
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

On this day - 1933 U.S.A.

A majority of the house had voted for the repeal of the 18th Amendment, which had prohibited the sale and distribution of all alcohol. This occurred after the entire U.S. nation had been dry since the beginning of the 1920s.
                    The next step after this was to send this 18th Amendment repeal to each of the states of the U.S. for ratification or rejection of the plan to reverse the original decision made as of the passing of this Amendment.

There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                    X