Internet trolls are psychos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet trolls are psychos

The YouTube comment section is known as a special circle of hell—and that might be because the people leaving provocative comments are literally sadists and psychopaths, a new study titled “Trolls just want to have fun” has discovered.

Canadian psychologists Erin Buckels, Paul Trapnell, and Delroy Paulhus set up a survey of personality inventories matched with “Internet commenting styles”—in other words, they attempted to psychoanalyze commenters, which should be cause for a Nobel prize (and hazard pay) in itself. What came from the study will likely surprise no one: people who like to troll are also likely to show signs of “sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism.”

Those three character flaws make up the ominous “Dark Tetrad of personality.” Sadism means delighting in the harm of others, psychopathy is an antisocial personality disorder, and Machiavellianism means a person’s tendency to be unemotional and deceitful. Trolls seem to have all three on lock.

Of course, it might just be that the Internet has a tendency to turn people into sadists as a result of its anonymity. This was enshrined by the “online disinhibition effect” that leads us to treat other people online as less than human. (It’s also known by a less scientific name.) If we can’t see their faces, they’re not real, right?

Not all commenters are psychopaths, however. Thankfully the study concludes, “Enjoyment of other online activities, such as chatting and debating, was unrelated to sadism.”

While I don't disagree, I think the people obsessed with sharing their every detail on Facebook are the real psychos.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Most people, to some extent, delight in the suffering of others, are selfish, and manipulative. When hiding behind the shield of anonymity they have less incentive to hide these traits. Unsurprisingly people display these traits on the internet. I mean, look at what an ******* Sava is.

Comment

/selfpost
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

6.9 out of 10.
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I'm not really good at the whole anonymous thing though. I'm a strong proponent of COME AT ME BRO
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

but srsly, I'm a little disappointed that "troll" has become quite the catch-all phrase
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Me thread
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

You thread?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

WE ALL THREAD!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

CHA CHA CHA!
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      WE ALL THREAD!

If I were a troll that's what I'd say too.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

*If*?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I used to troll for fun..hence the name but never malicious
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Why did I not remember that this thread had been posted?
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                            X