Hotels in Sochi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
    Do you want to eat at his restaurant? You realize that if you did, you'd be putting money in the hands of a racist *******, right?

There's no need for federal laws to prevent this. There should just be a few people with signs out in the street in front of his business, letting people know not to eat there. Pretty soon he'd go out of business and somebody less racist and evil could take the spot over.
    Yeah, right It's like saying there is no need punishment for any crime, 'cause God will punish the criminal anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
      He's saying you should be like us. We made it unfashionable to whip up hatred of gays for political purposes almost five years ago. And gay sex has been legal in all states for a whole ten!
      At the Russian rate of progress the gangs will stop hunting gays in 100 years. Maybe.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
        At the Russian rate of progress the gangs will stop hunting gays in 100 years. Maybe.
        Western lies and propaganda. Russians will never stop hunting the godless homos and making them pay for their propaganda and converting pure, innocent Russian children to their sick lifestyle.

Comment

• Norwegians really like their ice and snow.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Serb, if you guys are serious about cracking down on attempts to glamorize homosexuality, you really need to start tasing some of these figure skaters. I think they're actually ramping up on the gay this year, just to mock you. I don't remember anyone wearing a sparkly suit with a diagonal skin-revealing slash across the torso before.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb View Post
              I'm shocked actually.
              Such behavior is just NOT POSSIBLE in Russia. F*ck him. This is just insane. And you people whine we are discriminating someone in our country? I'm seriously telling you - IT IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE HERE. If any dumbass opens such restaurant he will find himself in jail immediately.
              It's actually illegal in the US but either no one has bothered to bring a civil suit against the owner or the local authorities have just decided to ignore it. Either way at least half of that stuff violates U.S. Federal law. I'm not at all surprised to hear it still happens in a place like Oklahoma though.

Oh, and WRT Russia being Christian. They're very bad Christians much like most "religious" Americans are very bad Christians. My guess is it is more just a nationalism thing as the current Russian government has tried to revive Orthodoxy as a pillar of Russian Nationalist identity which is not surprising but it is only skin deep. After all just 20 years ago the churches were empty and people had spent 3-4 generations pretending not to be religious.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Oerdin, you don't know anything about Oklahoma. I was the same way before I moved here.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  After all just 20 years ago the churches were empty and people had spent 3-4 generations pretending not to be religious.
                  The churches were never empty.

Comment

• Revolutionaries had to have some place to hang out.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                      Oerdin, you don't know anything about Oklahoma. I was the same way before I moved here.
                      So you just follow whatever dumb **** the local herd believes in?

Comment

• by the way it certainly doesn't look like religion is very important in Russia:

Comment

• Prior to WW2 you could literally be sent to a gulag for being seen to be religious and Stalin only reopened the churches during the Nazi invasion as a way to get people to continue to support him when he saw a very real threat of the Nazi invasion being a success. Even after WW2 you could lose your job or be passed over for promotion and certainly be refused party membership for not professing to be an atheist. Post 1991 the Russian government has had to rebuild the national identity of what it means to be Russia, after almost 80 years of communists repeating there is no real national identity and only their status as workers really mattered. The only thing the new regime really had to go on was the old pre-Soviet Tsarist government which always used the Russian Orthodoxed Church as a means to legitimize its rule and its actions. The Putin government (and Medived who was nothing but a Putin crony acting as a seat warmer) has actively tried to promote Orthodoxy as a defining characteristic of what it means to be Russia; obviously Putin isn't religious himself in any meaningful way he is just trying to build nationalism and get his name/regime identified with said nationalism. This is why you have the state funding the construction and reconstruction of old Tsarist era churches, rules restoring church properties seized during the revolution and the civil war period, and, of course, you have the clergy speaking in lock step with the government's orders because they know who pays them. It is a classic Tsarist era move and the government promotes it actively in the state controlled media (which is to say virtually all media in Russia as the second thing Putin did was concentrate control of the media in the hands of the Kremlin; his first move was to go for the money by taking over most of Russia's oil companies by hook or by crook).

Putin's biggest problem? His autocratic regime will have a big problem keeping a lid on things when oil prices decline or oil production declines. He's basically using oil money to paper over major economic problems due to the lack of reforms and the arbitrariness of the Russian legal system (which has lost most of its independence under Putin). Already Putin is losing much of the natural gas exports as both fracking in the EU & China have taken off while even worse competing suppliers (in North Africa and the middle east) are trying to build pipelines to compete against the Soviet era natural gas pipelines supply eastern Europe. That leaves oil as making the vast, vast, vast percentage of Russia's exports so the country is now hyper sensitive, economically, to any drop in oil prices.

This is sad because Russia could be a huge non-oil exporter but Putin, out of fear of anyone having the power to challenge him, has really reigned in both the business community with in Russia while discouraging foreign investment into Russia both of which could really increase the dynamism of the Russian economy if given a solid footing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
                            by the way it certainly doesn't look like religion is very important in Russia:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Importa...ion_by_country
                            Like I said, the Russian people themselves aren't very religious but Putin is using religious identity (even if only great grandma is the only truly religious one in the family) as a way to build Russian nationalism and his own political control. It's very similar to the flag waving and jingoism of Fox News and the Republicans after 9/11. You play this stuff up, you find an "enemy" for people to blame everything on (like gays in Russia right now or Jews in Nazi Germany or how dictatorial Arab regimes always try to blame Israel and/or the US for everything or how the Cuban government blames the US for every one of its failings) so they can focus their popular anger at someone other than the government, and then they don't notice that their pensions got cut, that wages suck, that freedom of speech has decreased, that corruption is every where, and that the game is rigged for the defacto dictator. This will work for a while but eventually people get tired of hearing the same old excuses.
                            Last edited by Dinner; February 10, 2014, 00:44.

Comment

• With Russia, however, living standards have shot up exponentially under Putin. I'm guessing that is the reason for his popularity and not rally around the flag.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Two toilets in every bathroom!
                                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X