No announcement yet.

Towering intellectual feats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the dot product, and I knew it before I decided to go back to school (which means I learned it in high school math).
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      No one knows your esoteric math, HC and regexcellent.

The rest of us haven't had a math class in a decade or more and have never had to use anything beyond basic algebra and statistics.

Yuk it up but you're in the tiny minority.
      If I can remember something I guarantee it's not "esoteric".

Comment

"They" just like to change the names of math stuff from time to time so another "they" can sell new textbooks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
          If I can remember something I guarantee it's not "esoteric".
          You want to make a poll? We already got Elok, rah, and myself not knowing what it is.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So it's 4-3 so far?

Comment

I learned dot and vector products in years 9 or 10 for my IGCSEs. And again in years 11 and 12 for my IBs. And again in my uni's Linear Algebra course. And the first phyisics course. Argh.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
                So it's 4-3 so far?
                So far. If it's close to 50-50 on a site like this, I'll bet my life on the general population.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm sure the general population has no idea what the dot product is.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    Yeah, don't remember learning that at all. Of course, everything after Algebra II is a bit of a blur. I know we didn't spend all of Trig learning about cosines and such, but that's all I can remember of it. That, and this thing where we drew an oval using a string attached to two pegs in a board. Pre-cal, I remember nothing but derivatives. Calc, I remember an amusing anecdote of the teacher's about a cow getting drunk on fermented watermelon. Also a far less amusing Hamlet reference (2x OR NOT 2x HAHAHA) that he pulled out at every damn opportunity. The actual subject I remember as utterly incomprehensible. Probably some combination of his teaching and my senioritis. I didn't even want to take the stupid course, I'd have rather left it at Pre-Cal, but I had to take a math every year. Grr.

So, yeah. That's new to me.
                    Hm. Well I'm currently taking 4 math classes (out of five classes this semester, the other one is programming) so perhaps it's a little fresher in my memory But the dot product is not esoteric. I learned it in middle school (8th grade geometry).
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Anyway, it's not even real math until you start talking about sets and graphs
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                        And the first phyisics course. Argh.
                        Yeah, ****ing boring electro magnetism...
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

seems it is more like 2:1 for knows what a dot product is vs. does not know what a dot product is.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Well then, somebody's e-penis just leveled up. Maybe you get a perk?
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Don't know what a dot product is? Next Albie will tell us no-one knows what grad, div and curl are! How rare!
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yeah I can forgive him for not knowing vector calculus but dot products are pretty basic math that I got taught in middle school.

Comment

Working...
                                X