Towering intellectual feats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towering intellectual feats

The other day I purchased two items at a local shop.

The genius shop assistant reached for pen and paper to add up the cost of the items I had purchased and correctly calculated the total price of my purchases.

One item cost $1.85 and the other item cost $1.00

Have you ever witnessed an intellectual feat less astounding?

He didn't use a calculator?

We might have this generation's Einstein in sight!
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
      He didn't use a calculator?
      Hmmm...success in education since he was able to do it on paper, or a failure in education because he doesn't even know how to use a calculator?

At least he got the total right.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Calculator? Surely you mean smartphone.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

A programmer at a defense contractor once asked me what a dot product was.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Wildkin-Ashley-Big-Dot-Lunch-Box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	9100008
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

My guess is there are about 7 billion other people who might ask the same question.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I don't know what that is. Most people don't learn anything beyond high school math.

Braindead:

Maybe he was trying to calculate sales tax?
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I was once asked about Caesar the famous Greek.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I was once asked about Alexander the famous Greek.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Braindead:
                      Maybe he was trying to calculate sales tax?
                      No. No need for him to do that. He was just adding up the numbers.

Comment

A dot product is how you calculate the angle between 2 vectors. Considering the job and the contract, knowing what a dot product is was pretty much a requirement for the job.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Albie dot vs vector product...
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Last summer I took linear algebra, where you learn how to find your inner product.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Is this a vanity thread for math geeks?
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X