Towering intellectual feats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
    Last summer I took linear algebra, where you learn how to find your inner product.
    Did you happen to determine your Wronski after that ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      I don't know what that is. Most people don't learn anything beyond high school math.
      Jesus christ. Dot products are high school math.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
        A programmer at a defense contractor once asked me what a dot product was.
        This makes me extremely sad.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          I don't know what that is. Most people don't learn anything beyond high school math.

Braindead:

Maybe he was trying to calculate sales tax?

Dude, dot products are something you learn in Geometry. And again in Algebra II. Did your ****ty philadelphia high school not teach those math classes?

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
            I was once asked about Alexander the famous Greek.
            Macedonians were Greeks!

/MarkG

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
              Hmmm...success in education since he was able to do it on paper, or a failure in education because he doesn't even know how to use a calculator?

At least he got the total right.
              How about failure because he needed either one?
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Now now rah, don't expect too much from a young rascal.

Comment

I'm amazed Alby has no idea what a dot product is.

Comment

I don't remember that, honestly, and I remember enough from geometry to regularly help eighth-grade geometry students. Looked it up on Wiki, but couldn't be bothered to decode the mathspeak enough to figure out WTF it was talking about. Maybe if I were a big math person who used it, I would remember it?
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Banobi View Post
                      Now now rah, don't expect too much from a young rascal.
                      Who are you, Socrates?
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        I don't remember that, honestly, and I remember enough from geometry to regularly help eighth-grade geometry students. Looked it up on Wiki, but couldn't be bothered to decode the mathspeak enough to figure out WTF it was talking about. Maybe if I were a big math person who used it, I would remember it?
                        You probably know it at some level in terms of the trigonometry then, but don't know it by that name. If I have vectors A = <1, 2> and B = <3, 4> then dot(A, B) = 1*3+2*4=11. It's also equal to the magnitude of A times the magnitude of B times the cosine of the angle between them--|A||B|Cos(theta).

Comment

Actually I don't remember that from my math days and I was on the advanced math track back then.
                          But then I have a wrist band with my address on it so take it for what it's worth.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, don't remember learning that at all. Of course, everything after Algebra II is a bit of a blur. I know we didn't spend all of Trig learning about cosines and such, but that's all I can remember of it. That, and this thing where we drew an oval using a string attached to two pegs in a board. Pre-cal, I remember nothing but derivatives. Calc, I remember an amusing anecdote of the teacher's about a cow getting drunk on fermented watermelon. Also a far less amusing Hamlet reference (2x OR NOT 2x HAHAHA) that he pulled out at every damn opportunity. The actual subject I remember as utterly incomprehensible. Probably some combination of his teaching and my senioritis. I didn't even want to take the stupid course, I'd have rather left it at Pre-Cal, but I had to take a math every year. Grr.

So, yeah. That's new to me.
                            1011 1100

Comment

I should add that what's taught in which math class apparently varies widely. In my day, for example, you took Algebra II, then Trig, then Pre-Cal, then Calc. Really quick students took a condensed Algebra II plus Trig class. But in the schools I sub, Pre-Cal is just another way of saying "advanced trig with a week of very basic calculus stuff thrown in at the end." So, it's just Honors Trig. They have this funky high school science sequence, too, where the lower kids take ocean science instead of bio. So you can't assume everybody learns the same thing at the same time.
                              1011 1100

Comment

No one knows your esoteric math, HC and regexcellent.

The rest of us haven't had a math class in a decade or more and have never had to use anything beyond basic algebra and statistics.

Yuk it up but you're in the tiny minority.
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X