Canada declares war on Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada declares war on Scotland

They banned Bru! It's going to be a bloodbath.

The owner of a British food shop in Canada says he has been ordered to stop selling Marmite, Ovaltine and Irn Bru because they contain illegal additives.

Tony Badger, who owns Brit Foods in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, told local media that food safety officials had removed the foods from his shelves.

Other affected products include Lucozade, Penguin Bars and Bovril.

Mr Badger said he had been selling the items since 1997, and had never had problems in the past.

"We've been bringing Irn-Bru in since the very beginning," he told CKOM. The bright orange caffeinated drink is particularly popular in Scotland, but sold in countries around the world.

"My understanding was we were importing legally. We've been declaring it through a customs broker and we've never had an issue until now," said Mr Badger.

Expensive delays
    The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is reportedly cracking down on the sale of such goods and increasing its inspections of suppliers.

Irn Bru contains at least one additive - Ponceau 4R - which has been linked to hyperactivity and does not appear on the approved food list in Canada.

The other products are banned because they are "enriched with vitamins and mineral" while some canned foods and soup contained too much animal product.

The CFIA could not be reached for comment.

Mr Badger said he first ran into trouble in October when his Christmas stock was seized as it was imported from Britain. Then last week, officials from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency came to his shop to confiscate the remaining produce.

"The concern now is, with the next shipment, if it gets held there may be new issues with new products, so it somewhat paralyses our ability to bring new product in," he said, adding the delays had already cost him thousands of dollars.

But he said the agency was now conducting a health assessment on the foods to determine whether they were fit for sale.

"I haven't heard of anyone dying from consuming Irn-Bru in Scotland or Britain," he said. "So hopefully we will get a favourable decision."

One customer, Briton Nigel Westwick, told the Star Phoenix newspaper that he "couldn't understand the insanity" of preventing Irn Bru from entering Canada.

"For a country that allows one to buy firearms, guns, bullets... stopping a soft drink suitable for all ages seems a little ludicrous."

The owner of a British food shop in Canada says he has been ordered to stop selling Marmite, Ovaltine and Irn-Bru as they contain illegal ingredients.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Remember to drink more Ovaltine
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ponceau 4R isn't allowed in the USA either. Bring it on.

Comment

Of course his name is "Badger".

This story couldn't be more British if it tried.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'm baffled by "while some canned foods and soup contained too much animal product". That's a positive to me.

Comment

I was more puzzled by them being "enriched with vitamins and mineral" and this apparently being a bad thing?

Comment

Exactly, Laz.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                I was more puzzled by them being "enriched with vitamins and mineral" and this apparently being a bad thing?
                That is actually a bad thing
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

"enriched with vitamins and mineral"
                  What is this? somebody is adding sand to the food?
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post

It might be related to them clamping down on health claims for untested products a couple of years ago.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I killed a large scotch today. I plan on killing another Sunday night.
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I cracked open a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label tonight.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Johnny Walker Blue Label is insane. It's stupid, stupid money to pay for a blended whisky with grain alcohol content and no age statement. For the same price you can get 30-year-old single malts which contain no cheap grain alcohol and will absolutely wipe the floor with it.

A bottle of Blue Label on your shelf just screams "I am a foreigner and don't really know what I'm doing". It's only expensive because beginners think that price = quality.

Comment

I like it better than Macallan 18 and 21.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I killed a bottle of Highland Park 12 a couple of weeks ago. Not too expensive for a single malt (5=1 JW blue), but my favourite.
                              Sadly, because of my heart meds, I'm no longer allowed to drink... do our resident physicians have any advice?
                              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                              X