Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America screws Canada over yet again!

Incandescent bulb ban leaves bird care centre with dim hope
    Ottawa's Wild Bird Care Centre wasn't ready for federal government change on Jan. 1

CBC News Posted: Jan 11, 2014 11:17 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 11, 2014 11:17 AM ET

Stockpiling incandescents

Ottawa’s Wild Bird Care Centre has put the call out for incandescent light bulbs, which it uses to provide warmth for injured and recovering birds, after the federal government banned manufacturers from making the bulbs.

In Canada, the more energy-efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs are considered the norm. The incandescent light bulbs use more power, but they are also warmer and serve an important role inside incubators.

“As the light bulb is on, it will obviously warm things up and then the setting will turn it off to keep the right temperature,” explained Mireille Goguen, who works at the centre.
    Recovering pigeon at Wild Bird Care Centre (Jan. 11, 2014)

This pigeon tumbled out of his nest as a little over a month ago and he's now on the road to recovery, thanks in part to the warm glow of the incandescent bulb in his incubator. (CBC)

She said they were caught off-guard by the bulb ban and they are already running short on incandescent bulbs. Now they are asking people to donate 100-watt bulbs.

"(We will take) as many as possible. If people have them hanging around we will take them or if they want to buy them for us it would be much appreciated," said Goguen.

Donations can be dropped off at the centre, which is located on Moodie Drive in the city’s west end.
    The Wild Bird Care Centre in Ottawa's west end says it needs more incandescent light bulbs for its incubators, so its bright idea was to ask for donations.

I am so sorry.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

More the other way around. Canada's bulb ban inspired Obama's moronic crusade.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Screw the birds, what about easy-bake ovens. Think about the children.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This sounds like a market opportunity for an enterprising inventor. Creative destruction!
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yes, if only we had a device that provided heat along with light, powered by electricity so we don't have to use wax. That provided more illumination than a candle, and operated well in cold temperatures.

You could make a fortune with such a device. You'd become wealthier than Croesus.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

lightbulbs are dumb. Ceramic heaters are where it's at.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

If they can't find another way to keep birds warm shoot them.

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                lightbulbs are dumb. Ceramic heaters are where it's at.
                Winner.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

She said they were caught off-guard by the bulb ban...
                  Incompetent hippie bird worshippers.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I am in favor of warming up birds in the oven. I usually set it at 350F and leave them in for about 1 hour per 4 lbs. of bird.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

And no incandescent bulbs required!
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post

And then what do we do with the birds that need to stay warm to recover?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
                          It's Canada ... they should club them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                            Seems like a sly way to gain publicity AND light bulbs for free when they used to have to pay for them...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                              Seems like a sly way to gain publicity AND light bulbs for free when they used to have to pay for them...

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X