Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I Went Ahead and Purchased Civ V ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I Went Ahead and Purchased Civ V ...

Everyone:

... and I must say, I really despise not being able to stack units. Oh, don't get me wrong — I was never a "stacks of doom" sort of fellow, but it sure would be nice to be able to, say, pair a ranged unit with a melee unit so together they take up one less hexagon.

Some other cursory thoughts:

1. I like the fact that cities can defend themselves now.
    2. That said, it sucks being able to only station a single military unit in a city.
    3. Way too many improvements can be built outside the city proper, leading (in my opinion) to hexagon clutter. I'd rather have everything centered in the city, and viewable on the city screen only.
    4. Speaking of hexagons ... hmm, well, I'm old-school, so I prefer the system used in prior Civ releases.
    5. The game really despises warfare now, which makes it annoying when you grabe two or three cities of a neighbor who stole tech from you, and you're the one who winds up being labeled a "warmonger."
    6. I control the World Congress, so stuff it, Egypt!
    7. You denounce me, Austria?! Why, I then denounce thee thrice over!
    8. I like how trade, religion and culture are handled. The Celts converted my cities to Catholicism for the longest time. Then I got religious — Taoism, to be specific — converted my cities back, converted some Celtic cities and, in the end, wiped Boadicea off the face of the Earth. Damn woman thought she could turn the Americans (me) into some peacenik civ? Mwhahaha. Her (former) nation now is nothing more than a puppet of America!
    9. I still hate barbarians.
    10. Sure, Ethiopia, I'll give you 1 fur in exchange for 4 aluminum, 3 coal, open borders and, oh yeah, 7 gold per turn. (Suckers.)

So, yep, after several years' absence from playing Civ, I've plowed back into the game. Strange thing is, Civ V makes me yearn for Civ II.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

The true test is hope many games you play before it bores you. I bet it won't be many. The reason I still play IV
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

1UPT is the dumbest mechanic ever and needs to burn in hell. Stacks of doom were fine, the only problem was how they tended to pass each other like ships in the night.

Comment

Oddly enough I bought Civ3 and expansions for $1 off steam a couple days ago and have been having a grand stroll down memory lane the last couple nights.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Things like how you need a navy to protect sea trade and how religion and science spread with trade are great mechanics that no civ has ever had before but replicate actual historical dynamics in game terms.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Do your armies remove all accumulated food from all towns they pass through, spread disease everywhere, and turn around to overthrow you if you run out of cash to pay them? Those are also much-neglected historical dynamics.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              Do your armies remove all accumulated food from all towns they pass through, spread disease everywhere, and turn around to overthrow you if you run out of cash to pay them? Those are also much-neglected historical dynamics.
              More things no Civ game, including the glorified Civ IV, has ever had. There's no logistical system, either.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

i actually play civ 5 exclusively now while i really can't say that the 1upt is my favorite, it has gotten me more interested in combat and tactics which is something atypical of me.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                  More things no Civ game, including the glorified Civ IV, has ever had. There's no logistical system, either.
                  Not to mention the absurdity of your reign not ending sometime during the first 40 year turn.

- Start game
                  - "You are the glorious ________ of the ______. May your name go down in history!"
                  - End turn.
                  - "Your long and illustrious reign as _______ of the _________ has been cut short by [drinking tainted water|your son bashing your head in with a rock|gangrene|reaching the ripe old age of 35]"

... endless replay-ability! Realism

Comment

I played my first game of Civ V last week. I'll admit there were a couple points in the game I stayed up a couple hours later than I should have, and I may have shirked a few responsibilities along the way. No all-night sessions or forgetting meals though. But that's probably more to do with me getting old than anything about the game.

1UPT is a big pain in the neck for most of the game. Combined with expensive roads it makes "go to" completely useless. It's fun in warfare until you get a grasp on the best tactics, and then it's very boring since you can't lose. In my game I stopped building units for the most part in the early ADs, and ended up with a domination victory after perpetual warfare through the rest of the game. (Almost all reinforcements came from city state allies.) The AI has always relied on bring more units to the party to compete on a tactical level, and 1UPT guarantees they can't do that.

Diplomacy with city states is pretty cool. Rigging elections is fun, but very straightforward and I'm assuming will become monotonous in later games. I'd prefer if how many Spies and what they can do were more tied to choices you make rather than just given to you. City states are a compounding factor. The bigger you get, the more city states you can buy, the more help you get getting even bigger. It would be nice if there was some sort of "the friend of my enemy is my enemy". The "we want you to bully X" just doesn't cut it.

Diplomacy with the AI is very boring. I mostly ignored it. When some 2 city backwater demands Iron, Horses, Gold, Silver, Silks, and Stone for one of their Dyes ... all they're getting out of me for them is Stone ... from my Trebuchets.

Comment

is the dumbest mechanic ever and needs to burn in hell. Stacks of doom were fine, the only problem was how they tended to pass each other like ships in the night.
                      My Hi score Civ2 game wants stackable units badly. I wish I could glue 50+ engineers together and teleport them to any city with a railroad connection. It would be nice to have a 'railroad screen', which would give me a list of cities that are connected by rail that I can transport units. That being said, the time spent building the rail grid straight is worth every penny. Sure, we'll transport units from Kabul to Qamdo, over the Himalayas!

I really don't understand why they thought 1 unit per square was a good idea? Civ 2 doesn't deal well with uberstacks greater than 16 or so. All you had to do was introduce a supply limit cap, like Paradox does. Sure, they don't work with discrete units, but if a grassland square can hold 20, and plains can hold 15, and a mountain can hold 5 - there you go. Insta strategic benefit to controlling good terrain.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        Civ is not a Paradox game. Firaxis aren't about to start adding complex mechanics which will push them deeper into the niche market. If anything, they want to be bringing in more casual players/lapsed civ players with less time on their hands.

Comment

I want a cut down Civ game I can play on my tablet which isn't based around microtransactions.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Has the Android version of Freeciv got playable yet?
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                              I want a cut down Civ game I can play on my tablet which isn't based around microtransactions.
                              Heathen.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                              X