No announcement yet.

What does a person mean when they say, "God made me," or, "God made you?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• actually God made Eve after the Garden and critters, I suspect it means God brought the critters that were already formed to Adam to be named.

Comment

• well, Jesus did say the 2nd was just like the first - so he was acknowledging its redundancy

Comment

• He said the 2nd is like it, not exactly the same (I see it as expressing that the 2nd is 'like it' in importance, since the question is "which is the greatest of the laws")

Jesus, also, does a lot of stuff in the Gospels that is more than loving His neighbor like Himself, as well of course.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Following is "The Voice" translation, which is a new translation done in contemporary voice, from the original Greek, of Matthew 22:34-40:

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, a group of Pharisees met to consider new questions that might trip up Jesus. A legal expert thought of one that would certainly stump Him. Pharisees: Teacher, of all the laws, which commandment is the greatest? Jesus (quoting Scripture): “Love the Eternal One your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment.

34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, a group of Pharisees met to consider new questions that might trip up Jesus. 35 A legal expert thought of one that would certainly stump Him.

Pharisees: 36 Teacher, of all the laws, which commandment is the greatest?

Jesus (quoting Scripture): 37 “Love the Eternal One your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your mind.”[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is nearly as important, “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[b] 40 The rest of the law, and all the teachings of the prophets, are but variations on these themes.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• 18 And the Lord God said: It is not good for man to be alone: let us make him a help like unto himself. 19 And the Lord God having formed out of the ground all the beasts of the earth, and all the fowls of the air, brought them to Adam to see what he would call them: for whatsoever Adam called any living creature the same is its name. 20 And Adam called all the beasts by their names, and all the fowls of the air, and all the cattle of the field: but for Adam there was not found a helper like himself.

douay rheims

its not clear God made the animals in search of a companion, only that none like Adam was found.

Comment

• They are two different narratives of Creation for me.
              Berz is right here, Imran. It's not two different accounts, just one account. Also Douay-Rheims. Fantastic translation.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                18 And the Lord God said: It is not good for man to be alone: let us make him a help like unto himself. 19 And the Lord God having formed out of the ground all the beasts of the earth, and all the fowls of the air, brought them to Adam to see what he would call them: for whatsoever Adam called any living creature the same is its name. 20 And Adam called all the beasts by their names, and all the fowls of the air, and all the cattle of the field: but for Adam there was not found a helper like himself.

douay rheims

its not clear God made the animals in search of a companion, only that none like Adam was found.
                I've already addressed this in Post #102. In addition, English translations of Latin translations are not nearly as good as modern translations based on the original Greek, using earlier found manuscripts than those used by the Latin translations (esp after Erasmus demonstrated the multitude of errors in the Latin translation). The fact that Ben will protest this makes it even clearer that I am correct .

Though, heck, even the flawed King James Version has the "formed" rather than the "had formed" or "having formed" - more consistent with the Greek. Nothing against the KJV at the time - it was based on the best scholarship they had back then, but we've gotten better at scholarship and found more manuscripts since then.
                Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; December 4, 2013, 19:06.

Comment

• English translations of Latin translations are not nearly as good as modern translations based on the original Greek, using earlier found manuscripts than those used by the Latin translations (esp after Erasmus demonstrated the multitude of errors in the Latin translation). The fact that Ben will protest this makes it even clearer that I am correct
                  I don't know anyone who has high regard for the "New Living Translation".

The reason I love Douay Rheims is because it's a faithful Catholic English translation.

Arguing, "Catholics should use a translation done by Erasmus" is a complete non-starter. It's no different then arguing we should be using the King James.

found more manuscripts since then
                  Well, for starters you want the Challoner revision - it's a fantastic translation. As for the argument for the Septuagint, if there's any controversy, as a Catholic, I'm supposed to refer to the Vulgate. The D-R isn't the primary Catholic bible for anyone. 99 percent of what you'll use a bible for DR will get it done for you.

We do have newer bibles, Imran. We aren't tied to any particular English one. The translation revisions from the DR to the newer versions in the OT are minimal.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Like the New American Bible (one of the Catholic Bibes I own - the other is a Catholic edition of the NRSV)!

Daily Bible Readings, Podcast Audio and Videos and Prayers brought to you by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops.

The LORD God said: It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suited to him.* k
                    So the LORD God formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds of the air, and he brought them to the man to see what he would call them; whatever the man called each living creature was then its name.
                    The man gave names to all the tame animals, all the birds of the air, and all the wild animals; but none proved to be a helper suited to the man.

Comment

• Ugh, that's a horrible translation... this argument isn't one where the text would change after the dead sea scrolls, fwiw.

Comment

• Not this particular verse (as the Greek is quite clear that it is "formed" and not "had formed"), but the NAB did use some Dead Sea Scroll info:

Textual basis: NT: Novum Testamentum Graece 25th edition. OT: Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia with Septuagint and Dead Sea Scrolls influence. Deuterocanonicals: Septuagint, Dead Sea Scrolls, and some Vulgate influence.

Comment

Working...
                        X