What does a person mean when they say, "God made me," or, "God made you?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
    MrFun goes on and on about his life and preferences, Had you been paying attention you would have read about it excessively.
    Or you can feign ignorance and post silly things.
    You're missing the point- how would you know what he gets up to in the bedroom ?

Doh.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Which still does nothing to address the point that Genesis states very clearly that Man is made in the image of God.

I imagine his point goes something like this:

1, God condemned incest which includes children of brothers and sisters.
      2, Genesis states that the children of Adam and Eve had children with each other.

Ergo - Genesis is false because it condones something that God condemns.

To which I reply - Genesis is the source of the condemnation of incest (see Lot and his children). If Genesis is false then so is the condemnation of incest.
      How can Genesis be condemning incest?

At best it's contradictory or inconsistent. Adam and Eve's children reproduced with one another, but then later, God condemns Lot and his children for the same thing.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
        If we are to take Genesis literally, we are all a product of incest then, as the only people available to reproduce with one another were Adam and Eve's children.
        People were made on the 6th day, Eve was made later. Cain found a wife from the people made on the 6th day. As for Lot and his daughters, was it incest or "rape"? They got him drunk and then banged him.

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
        EUGENE M. MCCARTHY, PHD GENETICS, has a rather different idea of human origin.

Bet that religionistas will consider it even more heinous than ordinary evolution
        hence the prohibition on pork - cannibalism

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
          People were made on the 6th day, Eve was made later. Cain found a wife from the people made on the 6th day. As for Lot and his daughters, was it incest or "rape"? They got him drunk and then banged him.
          Did those other humans get kicked out of Eden because of what Adam and Eve did?

Comment

They weren't in Eden, Genesis says God took the man (a man) to the Garden planted eastward in Eden - that was after people were made on the 6th Day. And the people who were made on the 6th Day were told to be fruitful and multiply, Adam was given a different instruction - dont partake of the tree of knowledge. Knowledge of what? Adam and Eve knew they were naked, they covered their genitals, and started having kids - and thats why they got kicked out of the Garden. God didn't want his Garden being over run by people and instead of removing the tree of life he removed them.

Comment

That is... an interestingly novel way of reading Genesis (that Adam and Eve had kids who were ruining the garden).

I consider the creation narrative in Genesis to be mytho-poetic. However, I do agree that humans were made in the image of God (not that God looks like any of us, but that we have a divine origin - part and parcel of the sperm & egg process).
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

At best it's contradictory or inconsistent. Adam and Eve's children reproduced with one another, but then later, God condemns Lot and his children for the same thing.
                As a Christian, what benefit do you obtain from attacking Christian scripture as contradictory?

I'm not quite up on this remarkable plan you have here. Do you intend to divide up books?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

To be honest, while I do think that Scripture does contradict itself at points, I am curious to here Mr.Fun's answers.

It appears that a lot of Fun's posts (and Facebook posts) could be written by atheists attacking Christianity (they aren't even Liberal Christianity views on Scripture).
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Presumably even Christians value the pursuit of truth and will point out inconsistencies in Genesis that suggest the stories in Genesis are not literally true.

Comment

Originally posted by Ban Kenobi View Post
                      Presumably even Christians value the pursuit of truth and will point out inconsistencies in Genesis that suggest the stories in Genesis are not literally true.
                      Which is fine, but Christians will tend to point out other truths in Genesis or what those stories are saying rather than throwing them out with the bathwater.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
                        You're missing the point- how would you know what he gets up to in the bedroom ?

Doh.
                        You're missing the point, twice. I already answered you.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Slowwhand reminds me of a Piece of PooP!

also Imran Sukdiqui.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            As a Christian, what benefit do you obtain from attacking Christian scripture as contradictory?

I'm not quite up on this remarkable plan you have here. Do you intend to divide up books?
                            You're kidding yourself if you think a collection of different pieces of literature written by who knows how many different people over centuries, then compiled together, and then translated into how many other different languages does not have any contradictions anywhere in its work.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              To be honest, while I do think that Scripture does contradict itself at points, I am curious to here Mr.Fun's answers.

It appears that a lot of Fun's posts (and Facebook posts) could be written by atheists attacking Christianity (they aren't even Liberal Christianity views on Scripture).
                              I'm not sure I have any answer myself. That's why I asked the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                                That is... an interestingly novel way of reading Genesis (that Adam and Eve had kids who were ruining the garden).

I consider the creation narrative in Genesis to be mytho-poetic. However, I do agree that humans were made in the image of God (not that God looks like any of us, but that we have a divine origin - part and parcel of the sperm & egg process).
                                If you believe that Genesis is mythological, then you're not a Christian according to Ben.

Comment

Working...
                                X