Time to Start Camping Out In Line!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Start Camping Out In Line!

Lock your S-foils in attack position: Lucasfilm has announced that Star Wars: Episode VII will be arriving in theaters in time for Christmas 2015.

The official date—December 18, 2015—squares with previous hints and rumors about the movie's release. After all, with the film still in preproduction and without a finalized script or cast list, there's a tremendous amount of stuff to do. Just a few weeks ago, Lucasfilm released the news that Empire Strikes Back cowriter Lawrence Kasdan would be assisting with the script—news that was met at the Ars Orbiting HQ with quite a bit of excitement.

Various Internet sources have some or all of the original trilogy's trilogy of Hamill, Fisher, and Ford signed on to reprise their roles—although the rumor mill continues to churn with word that Ford held out on agreeing to participate until Lucasfilm guaranteed him at least a treatment of Indiana Jones 5. He'll play the dog.

Kasdan's involvement on the script side of things bodes well for fans of the grittier take he brought to Empire (and, if I may be permitted an editorial aside, Kasdan's lack of contribution to the ludicrous mess that is the Star Wars Expanded Universe is an incredibly good thing). However, sci-fi fans who grew up with Star Wars and aren't happy with the series' more child-friendly recent offerings should brace themselves for at least some disappointment; at its core, Star Wars films and most of their spin-offs have, since the beginning, been light space opera matinée fare written for this audience.

That kid-friendly focus almost certainly won't change in 2015. Even though Disney now owns Lucasfilm, Kathleen Kennedy remains in control of the company and is responsible for managing the Star Wars brand. That brand has a tremendously long tail. Monster triple-A blockbuster movies don't often deviate too far from successful formulas, and Star Wars already has one of the most successful formulas of all.
    The movie will consist of a bunch of attractive twenty-somethings cruising the galaxy in search of that one last thrill before they begin their jobs in the Galactic Senate only to discover that each of them is either a Jedi, smuggler, or princess based on the respective counterpart they run into.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

I want the Thrawn storyline but I probably won't get it.

Just please don't **** it up. PLEASE
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

They'll **** it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
        I want the Thrawn storyline but I probably won't get it.

Just please don't **** it up. PLEASE
        QFMFT....Heir to the Empire: the movie

But the world isn't perfect enough for that to happen. :'(
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

No. It's not.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I confess- I never liked Star Wars.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

ANH was the first real special-effects blockbuster. Unfortunately, we've now reached a point where almost everything on the screen is a special-effects blockbuster, and the SFX are rapidly losing the power to impress. I have to admit, the original trilogy owed a lot of its success to the sheer novelty of not-ludicrously-fake computer/miniature effects.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I dunno, after what they did to the Klingons..
                Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Which was clearly overlooked in the last Star Trek movie.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Will it have Ben Kenobi?
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

sorry, sava, thrawn was bull****. i mean a giant infested herpes sore bull****.
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Will it have Ben Kenobi?
                        This time to be played by an out gay actor, rather than a closeted bisexual one.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

This time to be played by an out gay actor, rather than a closeted bisexual one.
                          I see talent wasn't in consideration. Did you audition?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            I see talent wasn't in consideration.
                            Just like when you became a 'history' teacher in Texas.

Did you audition?

Yes, I failed at playing the 'serial killer in the making Canadian 'history' teacher' . Unfortunately I kept getting facts right, kept saying 'out and about in a boat' correctly, and had a sex life that didn't involve human body parts in stolen supermarket bags.

Comment

Working...
                            X