The Story about Sava was made up by Gays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Interesting. Molly's failed to provide actual evidence for his claim so I can only conclude it was a worthless troll. Thanks for playing, Molly.
    Shall I direct people to the thread where you claimed, amongst other unsupported idiocies, that the western Roman Empire fell because of its low birth rate which was a direct result of its tolerance of non-procreative heterosexual acts ?

That the Dutch 'conquered' the English, despite having lost two wars and some rather choice real estate abroad to them in the 17th Century ?

That William Of Orange (William III of England) and Stadholder of several provinces in the Dutch Republic was a feudal lord ?

That England was a Dutch fief ?

Despite my request to provide any evidence for this nonsense, you merely repeated it, ad nauseam and infinitum. Repetition doesn't make something true.

In any case, I want to know why Alec Guinness could not have been bisexual, or trolling for trade in a public toilet. Because he later became a Catholic ? Because he was married ?

Because you used a piccy of him as your avatar ? And your nom de plume is that of a character he once played ?

Guess we'll have to remain in the dark about which reasons are most important in framing your view...
    Last edited by molly bloom; October 12, 2013, 08:45.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

If tolerance for gays causes demographic collapse, I really can't fathom how the Greeks ever ruled their own country, let alone the whole Eastern Mediterranean.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        If tolerance for gays causes demographic collapse, I really can't fathom how the Greeks ever ruled their own country, let alone the whole Eastern Mediterranean.
        I wouldn't mind, but apparently this toleration of non-procreative sex acts only had an effect in the Western Roman Empire, and not until several centuries after the death of the likes of Tiberius, Caligula and Nero, and Roman society's toleration for such sexual acts started well before the 5th Century A.D. .

He's entirely wrong about the demographic collapse too- archaeological evidence from places as far apart as Antakya (ancient Antioch) and Spain and France show the population didn't collapse, in many case it simply moved following the shift in bureaucratic power bases (as Rome grew less administratively important, so Trier, Nicomedia, Milan, Antioch, Sirmium, and so on grew more important).

Peasants weren't producing less either. But notably, the Gothic/Germanic tribes were getting better at agriculture and metal working and manufacturing, their society was changing, and their population booming. Add to that the threat of the Sassanid Empire (which required between a fifth and a quarter of the combined forces of the Western & Roman Empires' armies on permanent watch in the Middle East) and you have a vastly different 'barbarian' world facing the Romans in the 5th Century.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I think you left the Sassanids off your list of reasons why Belisarius wasn't able to win back the West. IIRC, he was only able to invade Italy and Carthage in the first place because Justinian was silly enough to believe in the "Eternal Peace" the Persians gave him, and pulled lots of troops off the Eastern frontier. Even if he'd trusted Belisarius completely, there simply weren't enough troops to hold the whole thing together.

EDIT: Belisarius was the man, though. Whenever I get him as a GG in Civ4, I make sure to use him as a warlord, even if the other two options would be more useful. He's too awesome to sit around at some military academy all day.
          Last edited by Elok; October 12, 2013, 11:10.
          1011 1100

Comment

there simply weren't enough troops to hold the whole thing together.
            Killing off a quarter of your population through plague will do that for you.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              I think you left the Sassanids off your list of reasons why Belisarius wasn't able to win back the West. .
              Not really:

Add to that the threat of the Sassanid Empire (which required between a fifth and a quarter of the combined forces of the Western & Roman Empires' armies on permanent watch in the Middle East)
              But don't forget the eunuch general, Narses.

Comment

I meant your original list, not the one in this thread. Not that it matters. I guess Narses did a decent job for an elderly man with minimal military experience. I'm not sure whether his complete lack of testosterone would help or hinder his martial skills.
                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                X