The Future of Lunatic Jihad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Future of Lunatic Jihad

So, the most recent Economist included a special report on how Al-Qaeda is regrouping and becoming more influential. It was, as you might expect, a sobering account--until the last paragraph. Then it noted that AQ's final goal was to establish a new Caliphate across most, if not all, of the Middle East, and that said goal was now closer than it had been. At this point, I pretty much cracked up; the idea of those psychotic bigots successfully ruling even a Vatican-style mini-state strains my imagination. A super-state covering thousands of square miles, run by a batch of zealots whose primary, if not only, skill is destabilizing states...that's almost too grotesque to be funny. Almost.

What do you think the future holds for Muslims of the frothingly-violent persuasion in that region? I read a rather horrible blog post the other day, suggesting that a massive Sunni-Shiite "civil war" was imminent for some reason. And gloating about it, which is why I'm not going to link to it. What do our armchair policy wonks think of that?

Discuss, and stuff.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I think without the west to get mad at AQ would be getting squashed by native Muslims. But since they have enemies from outside the region and culture they get enough support from Muslims to stay alive.

They have no chance in hell of achieving their caliphate, I'd agree the most they can hope for is setting up shop out in the boondocks where other Muslims have little reason to go after them

With China in search of resources it'll be interesting to see how they handle dealing with the nutcases

Comment

Nothing interesting will happen with them. Maybe a failed terrorist attack plot.

Comment

China's spent. All the Sinophobes are going to look pretty silly in awhile.

As for the Caliphate, you might want to ask your brothers and sisters in the faith how they feel about that Elok. Are you unaware of the recent goings on in Kenya, Nigeria and Pakistan?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

****, if Ben thinks China is "spent" then the Chinese are going to be running everything in twenty years.

Comment

****, if Ben thinks China is "spent" then the Chinese are going to be running everything in twenty years.
            Age structure (per the CIA factbook)

China:

0-14 (17.2)
            15-24 (15.4)
            25-54 (46.7)
            55-64 (11.3)
            64+ (9.4)

US

0-14 (20.0)
            15-24 (13.7)
            25-54 (40.2)
            55-64 (12.3)
            64+ (13.9)

US has more folks percentagewise under 14 than China already. In a few years, we'll see China surpass the US in average age, and is currently less than a year's difference. China's done.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I thought this thread was about the Republican Party.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That would be "Lunatic Crusade." Different thread entirely.

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                As for the Caliphate, you might want to ask your brothers and sisters in the faith how they feel about that Elok. Are you unaware of the recent goings on in Kenya, Nigeria and Pakistan?
                Yes, I know about that, but the skills required to randomly murder people are surprisingly dissimilar to the skills required to administer a modern state. Especially a very large modern state in an unstable region, with few resources aside from oil and no major power willing to acknowledge your legitimacy.
                1011 1100

Comment

The idea of a modern caliphate is ridiculous. Aside from the theological divisions in Islam, the region (from Morocco to India) contains many different ethnic groups and languages... none of whom want to be ruled by the other. To get anywhere close to what some of the psychos want would require genocide and ethnic cleansing on a scale that would dwarf the Holocaust.

While the thought of all those brown people dying may make the likes of BK cream his little pants, it just wouldn't be allowed to happen... not with Pakistan being a nuclear power, the Saudis being US allies, and oil existing.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes, I know about that, but the skills required to randomly murder people are surprisingly dissimilar to the skills required to administer a modern state. Especially a very large modern state in an unstable region, with few resources aside from oil and no major power willing to acknowledge your legitimacy.
                    Sharia seems pretty effective at killing Christians wherever it goes. Does it really matter if they have a 'centralized state apparatus', if the options are various shades of Muslim? I don't see it.

Comment

Yeah, if it weren't for the horrifying prospect of millions dying, I'd almost want to see them claw their way to the top--at which point they're stuck defending a country. And then we all laugh and destroy all that hard work in about a week.
                      1011 1100

Comment

While the thought of all those brown people dying may make the likes of BK cream his little pants
                        I'm not sure which is more offensive. The casual insinuation of 'those brown people', or the fact that Sava, (Eastern Orthodox), believes that all Christians are white. Racist much?

Comment

I bet BK masturbates to execution videos from the Middle East.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

at which point they're stuck defending a country. And then we all laugh and destroy all that hard work in about a week.
                            Don't see it. When outspoken Christians and atheists in Europe are executed for the crime of attacking Sharia, we've drifted down the path quite far already. Their strategy is simple. Use the hatred of atheists for the west and Christ to remove all forms of Christianity from the west and then fill in the void, through generous immigration benefits provided by those same liberals. It's working great so far.

Comment

Nah... on second thought, you probably play them while you rape deaf children.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X