Adam Smith. Communist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
    Yes. But for probably none of the reasons you think.

But feel free to surprise me.
    Actually, we're largely in agreement. Too many worthless middle men fixing prices, **** tons of money spent on marginally beneficial treatment while the low hanging fruit are ignored. An emphasis on technological treatment instead of economically efficient solutions. I think the biggest problems could be solved by making sure the connected and unconnected all pay the same. As it is, hospitals charge insane mark ups, insurance companies haggle with them to bring prices down, and folks without insurance either go without care or go broke. Whether this is achieved through a single-payer system or a publicly published list of prices doesn't really matter much to me. I prefer markets to government, but the current system is about as bad as could be imagined.

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
    We can play the 'lets quote websites' game if you like. Or I can give you a lmgtfy link. Price rationing is a term in common usage.
    You're right, "price rationing" brings up 76,400 hits on Google. This is obviously a meaningful portion of the 4,940,000 hits that "rationing" comes up with. I wonder why there are 71,300 results for "non-price rationing" though. Maybe because people are too lazy to think of a better, less forced formulation like "distribution," "disbursement," or "allocation."

Rationing means something, and its meaning (or would you prefer "it's" which I've seen in common usage?) has nothing to do with the free market. We've got plenty of words in English, and you're always free to steal one from another language if nothing else works. But if you go around using existing words incorrectly, expect people to think you're (your?) an idiot.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Would that be like when you declared that everyone should use the word 'Paki' (despite it being a recognized racial slur) because people were 'idiots' for using 'Pakistani', a word you declared made no sense?

Comment

• Afghanistan is full of Afghans, Tajikistan is full of Tajiks, but Pakistan is full of Pakistanis? It's too bad the English are such hateful bigots.

Comment

• It's true, Americans would obviously never discriminate against someone based solely on their skin colour of ethnic background.

Comment

• In all candor, I'm a bigot. I loathe the English.

Comment

• Greek for hellenes - that is an ancient racial slur that seems to have been accepted :discrimination!:
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                Actually, we're largely in agreement. Too many worthless middle men fixing prices, **** tons of money spent on marginally beneficial treatment while the low hanging fruit are ignored. An emphasis on technological treatment instead of economically efficient solutions. I think the biggest problems could be solved by making sure the connected and unconnected all pay the same. As it is, hospitals charge insane mark ups, insurance companies haggle with them to bring prices down, and folks without insurance either go without care or go broke. Whether this is achieved through a single-payer system or a publicly published list of prices doesn't really matter much to me. I prefer markets to government, but the current system is about as bad as could be imagined.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                  Afghanistan is full of Afghans, Tajikistan is full of Tajiks, but Pakistan is full of Pakistanis? It's too bad the English are such hateful bigots.
                  Well yeah... I mean the Afghan people and the Tajik people existed before they had a state. Before Pakistanis had a state they were called Indians (or Punjabis or Pashtuns or Sindhi, etc, etc. if you were getting super ethnic specific).
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Healthcare should be run like education with a large, public system and private operators running beside.

In neither Canada nor the US is this allowed to happen properly (for different reasons).
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      Well yeah... I mean the Afghan people and the Tajik people existed before they had a state. Before Pakistanis had a state they were called Indians (or Punjabis or Pashtuns or Sindhi, etc, etc. if you were getting super ethnic specific).
                      Forgot the Baluchis, you chauvinist.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• in EU4, Baluchistan is giving me problems
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Sava is it worth getting EU4? How much of an improvement is it over EU3? Is the AI still total dog****?

Comment

• EU4 needs work right now. I'm sure they will get the rebalancing done as they always do but no doubt it will take two expansion packs and a bunch of DLC before it is done.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                              Sava is it worth getting EU4? How much of an improvement is it over EU3? Is the AI still total dog****?
                              I don't know what Oerdin is talking about. I think the game is awesome. I'm not noticing any problems. As with any Paradox game, it is well supported.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                                Healthcare should be run like education with a large, public system and private operators running beside.

In neither Canada nor the US is this allowed to happen properly (for different reasons).
                                A reasonable suggestion 'cept for the fact that there is a never ending effort to curb any private competition to the public offerings, reference war on school choice, and a constant effort to squelch private alternative to public education. What makes you think the public/private health care option would be any less contentious?
                                Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; September 12, 2013, 14:45.
                                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                                X