"Tank Man" appears in Beijing Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tank Man" appears in Beijing Show

(CNN) -- A Cirque du Soleil performance left a Beijing audience audibly shocked when a banned image of the iconic Tiananmen "tank man" protester was displayed on giant screens in front of 15,000 people.

The politically-charged image -- of a sole, unarmed protester blocking a line of tanks during a 1989 government crackdown in Tiananmen Square -- was displayed for about four seconds as part of a montage of protest imagery during a performance of Michael Jackson's "They Don't Care About Us," according to a post on That's Beijing magazine's website.

"The result was an audible collective gasp from the audience," wrote That's Beijing's editor, Stephen George, in a post which has since been deleted.

"The very fact it was displayed, so publicly and on such a large movie theater screen in front of so many people -- and in Beijing, of all places -- felt genuinely quite radical," he wrote. "As my friend commented, 'I can't imagine ever being witness to that image being shown in Beijing again, even if I stay here for another 50 years.'"

The image -- and any mention of the massacre itself -- is banned in China, raising questions of how it made it into the show past the attention of government censors.

Cirque du Soleil's publicist Laura Silverman said that "the image was removed immediately and is no longer shown" in the show, the South China Morning Post reported. It quoted her as saying the Canadian performance troupe had submitted the full show for prior approval by the Chinese Ministry of Culture, as visiting performers are required. "Our scheduled performances will go on as planned," she was quoted as saying.

The incident occurred during the first night of a three-night run of the troupe's Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour. Subsequent performances proceeded without the "tank man" image. The show continues its China run in Shanghai Friday, before moving to Hong Kong the following week.

The incident made barely a ripple on Chinese social media, although one user of the Twitter-like Sina Weibo service took offence at the image's inclusion. "Why can't you separate politics and art?" read the comment. "What would the Americans think if you put a photo of the collapsing World Trade Center in the show? Keep it out of the performance, stupid French Canadians!"
    A Cirque du Soleil performance left a Beijing audience audibly shocked when a banned image of the iconic Tiananmen “tank man” protester was displayed.

A test of the waters for Chinese censorship?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Let's have a moment of silence for the person or people in the censor's office who just got summarily executed over this.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Instant massive publicity for Cirque?
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Cirque du Soleil - well until the higher ups took it down.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This won't change anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Let's have a moment of silence for the person or people in the censor's office who just got summarily executed over this.

I'd go with the "I never saw it before, I had no idea what it was" defence.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
              This won't change anything.
              I agree, but at least it let's the Chinese Government know that showing an image of the protests won't instantly bring the country down.

I think it is interesting that a "collective gasp" happened when it was shown. It demonstrates that the Chinese people, or at least the 15,000 in attendance, are familiar with the image.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I'b heard rumors that Cirque du Soleil's next show in Whasington will include short clips showing NSA violating the constitution
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

"What would the Americans think if you put a photo of the collapsing World Trade Center in the show?"
                  It would depend entirely upon the context, but in and of itself I don't believe it would cause that much of a stir. It's all over the web anyway.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                    I agree, but at least it let's the Chinese Government know that showing an image of the protests won't instantly bring the country down.

I think it is interesting that a "collective gasp" happened when it was shown. It demonstrates that the Chinese people, or at least the 15,000 in attendance, are familiar with the image.
                    I also think that is interesting. I wonder if whoever put it up knew what it was. It could easily be mistaken for a picture of Chinese bravery.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Actually, that's a good question. It'd be funny if this were a case of tight censorship biting them in the arse, where the censor was such a good patriotic citizen that he didn't even know he was looking at something he ought to sit on...
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I'b heard rumors that Cirque du Soleil's next show in Whasington will include short clips showing NSA violating the constitution
                        Could be worse. Could be a Muhammed cartoon.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          Actually, that's a good question. It'd be funny if this were a case of tight censorship biting them in the arse, where the censor was such a good patriotic citizen that he didn't even know he was looking at something he ought to sit on...
                          Now that would be hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                          X