*raises hand* "I know the answer, mr. Wilborn"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *raises hand* "I know the answer, mr. Wilborn"

So the summer is over. My new meds are continuing to do wonders; -17 kg and counting in one and a half month.

After finishing my master's degree last Christmas, I needed to find a subject no.2 to use in my planned career as a teacher. I tried English, but realized I didn't really like the subject as it was presented at uni. Doesn't help to be good at the language if your heart isn't in it. So this summer I applied for a year's study in the subject "Christianity, religion, world view and ethics", which can be used for teaching from children's school up to high school. I think I will like it.

As I no longer qualify for student loan and stipend this semester (have used up my allocated quota) I need more work this semester. As such I will take the year's worth of this subject in 50% capacity. And this week I'll send in my applications for teacher substitute! I both look forward to it and fears it. I don't like big changes and uncertainty, and this is all new. First few days are sure to be me in a completely new element... But I look forward to try out my chosen profession too! I'll apply both to my old high school, which is known to use old students as subs and which I've been told is in need to history subs, and to a manpower firm which specializes in teacher and kindergarten subs. They provide subs for the local children's and junior high schools.

All in all interesting times in the life of Mr. Wilborn. I have just enough money left for two months of living and the first pay check will probably come in ca two months... My master helps in that regard though. Tariff pay for my level of education is ca 74k USD a year, so even with part time job I should do well. Wish me luck!
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Good luck

That's a pretty good salary... wish we paid our teachers that well, if so I'd have become one
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Soon you'll have your own padawan and the circle will be complete.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Sounds awesome Nikolai! Best of luck to you!

Comment

why does poly tell me nobody has replied to this thraeda?

also congrats
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                Good luck

That's a pretty good salary... wish we paid our teachers that well, if so I'd have become one
                Yeah, it's not bad at all. Remember living costs are high in Norway though.

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                Nice!
                Thanks.
                Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                Soon you'll have your own padawan and the circle will be complete.
                There can only be one Master, one Apprentice...
                Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                Sounds awesome Nikolai! Best of luck to you!
                Originally posted by Sava View Post
                why does poly tell me nobody has replied to this thraeda?

also congrats
                Thanks! The reason for the reply stuff was some database hickup a few nights ago.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

So, last week I got a job in a manpower bureau. Got four hours of work as a teacher assistant in a fifth grade class, then nothing this week before tomorrow. Then I have my first assignment as a teacher sub! Six hours of teaching 17 year olds about being a service worker within IT. I have three years with part time work as just that, so I think I know something. I've got a detailed plan to follow anyways, so this will be easy I think. I was extremely nervous yesterday and the day before, but today I've been totally cool. Hopefully that continues. In 10 hours I'm at work however that works out. Wish me luck!

Comment

Good luck.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

What? Does Norway teach Christianity in schools? What about children of atheists and Muslims, do they have to take that subject as well?
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Well, Norway has a state sponsored Church. Though the subject is "Christianity, religion, world view and ethics" - so it likely covers more than just Christianity.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

We have a spiritually neutral course in Norway that all kids must take that gives an introduction to all kinds of religions, life views, ethics etc. Approved by the EU(tm). My study has a little more Christianity in it, due to choices made by the owners of it, which are some Christian organizations. They do adhere to the official study plan though, just you can implement some Christianity specific sub courses.

Comment

So. Soon four weeks into it. Got 10 hours of work the first three weeks. My economy is shaky. Need more teachers to get sick! People in the field says that happens later in the semester. Thank God I still have the occational hours on my old job as IT assistant on uni. Not much, but everything helps. This week I got another two days of work as teacher. The work two weeks ago went extremely well, got a great program for the day, and the youth mostly treated me well. I did so well I was asked to come down this week too for the same class. Yesterday I had two lessons with them, that didn't go so well. They were quite rude and hard to handle. But I didn't get discouraged by that, reported it to the school, got my contact person to take a talk with them, and today I had 7 lessons with them and it went very, very well. Last two lessons were a breeze, just watched "The Social Network" with them and sent them home. I was told by my contact person afterwards they were pleased with my work, and while the teacher I subbed for is getting back next week, they might call me back. She is still partly on sick leave, so there is a small chance they need my services again!

Comment

Yesterday I had two lessons with them, that didn't go so well. They were quite rude and hard to handle.
                              Uh oh. Did you learn Force Choke?
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X