No announcement yet.

Carl's Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only food blog worth reading thinks both In-n-Out and Five Guys' fries aren't very good, per this article about Shake Shack's new fresh cut fries.

On another topic, Shake Shack is entering the Chicago market next year, but for some reason Culver's (which I enjoy now that I live in the burbs) still has zero Chicago city locations. Irritating.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
      I think I see part of the problem. "crispness" means little to me; I dislike fries that are over crisp. I hate when they are dry and crumbly inside. 5 Guys fries are moist (I would not call them soggy), solid instead of crumbly (I really like the texture), and have the truest potato flavor I have ever experienced in a french fry.
      This. 5Guys fries are absolutely delicious (esp their cajun fries)!
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        The only food blog worth reading thinks both In-n-Out and Five Guys' fries aren't very good, per this article about Shake Shack's new fresh cut fries.

On another topic, Shake Shack is entering the Chicago market next year, but for some reason Culver's (which I enjoy now that I live in the burbs) still has zero Chicago city locations. Irritating.
        Shake Shack is also entering Atlanta soon.

But, interestingly if you look at Serious Eats' Hamburger blog, you find:

The star of the show was the french fries. I've eaten a lot of fries in my life, but I had never know the full potential of these simple deep fried potato sticks until that moment. All previous knowledge of french fries up to that point meant nothing. Nothing. All future, non-Five Guys french fry-eating experiences are destined to be ruined. I don't know how to describe how perfect that first bite was, through the delicate, salt-studded, crispy crust to the soft innards, but my reaction was probably something like, "Oh my god these fries are made of crack and rainbows and how the hell can fries taste this good oh sweet jesus I'mgonnaeattenmore." Pang's description is much more eloquent: "The fries tip more crispy than crunchy, and the interior has a creamy consistency with assertive potato-ey notes." The potato-ey notes in my fries were from Pasco, Washington, according to the whiteboard by the potato sacks. Thanks, Pasco!
        (He thinks the burger is merely decent, however)
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

That's interesting given the different opinion in the ShakeShack article. I guess Robyn and Kenji just disagree on that, then? (and I presume Robyn is a she, though who knows)

Comment

We have Culver's in KC. I've been there three times, two different sandwiches each time.

I was optimistic, but disappointed overall.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Culver's is definitely a mid-level entrant in the fast food game - much better than McD/BK/Wendy's, and has a much better selection (the green beans are very good, southern style, for example if you don't want fried stuff) but not high quality food either. Specific menu items are why you go: the patty melts, fried cheese curds, of course the various custard items (concrete mixer, just the regular custard, etc.) Fries are mediocre, as they're frozen crinkly fries, but not bad. But pretty cheap for what they are, and the variety is why I really enjoy them.

Comment

We have a Culver's here in San Antonio. I'll check it out tomorrow.

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The crew had low morale and discipline. Not helpful, and I saw one crew member slap a bag of takeout out of the hands of another -- this in view of the whole restaurant. This place is no more than a couple years old, and in one of the hotter development areas near KC.

Comment

At least you still have good BBQ in KC. All we have are several non-smoked pretenders and one or two smoked places which both fail for various reasons.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
                      We have a Culver's here in San Antonio. I'll check it out tomorrow.

ACK!
                      Ate at Culver's today. Had the mushroom swiss burger, not bad. The fries were crap, though. The Mountain Dew was the proper mix. They skimp on the napkins. Drive up lady was probably the nicest drive up person I've ever encountered.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Wasn't it Carl's Jr. that had that ad with Kate Upton all 1950s pin-up style a year ago?

Man, I don't care if their burgers taste like dog ****, so long as they keep making art like that.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                          The crew had low morale and discipline. Not helpful, and I saw one crew member slap a bag of takeout out of the hands of another -- this in view of the whole restaurant. This place is no more than a couple years old, and in one of the hotter development areas near KC.
                          That I find interesting. Most Culver's that I've been to (which does not include KC area, but probably a dozen different ones in southern IL near/in Springfield plus Chicago burbs and southern Wisconsin) are actually very well run franchises - perhaps the food is not gourmet, but the bathrooms are reliably clean, the tables clean, lots of friendly staff (not skimping on hours at all). I suppose it's a franchise operation, so maybe this franchisee is crap, but that's very interesting to hear for me.

The fries are definitely their weak point, they're good for generic frozen crinkle cut (in that they're always somewhat crispy and neither soggy nor overdone), but that's as much as you can really say about them.

Comment

Granite City has the Bedda Chedda Bacon Burger, and I am in LOVE.

Comment

Tonight was bowling league night (which is actually more fun than you'd think) and after our game some of us went to eat at the JITB down the road. I ended up getting Jack's Really Big Chicken sandwich with a medium curly fries and a medium drink for $3.99. Not bad. Sure, the chicken patties were made with breaded and fried mechanically separated chicken (as you'd expect from fast food at that price) but you got two chicken patties with two slices of Swiss cheese, LTO, bacon, and mayo on a fluffy white bun. All for $3.99 plus tax.
                              Last edited by Dinner; August 15, 2013, 03:36.

Comment

That's a picture of it and here's a write up.

Your daily source for fast food news, reviews, and culture. Up-to-date on new menu items, promotions, and deals from your favorite fast food chains.

Comment

Working...
                                X