Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Wezil become the first Uruguayan Poly poster ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Wezil become the first Uruguayan Poly poster ?

Uruguay unveils plans to allow state-controlled sales of marijuana, in an attempt to fight a rise in drug-related crime.

Uruguay government aims to legalise marijuana

Uruguay has unveiled a plan to allow state-controlled sales of marijuana to fight a rise in drug-related crime.

Under the bill, only the government would be allowed to sell marijuana to adults registered on a database.

Defence Minister Eleuterio Fernandez Huidobro said this was part of a plan to remove profits from drug dealers and divert users from harder drugs.

He said that the recent increase in murder rates was a clear symptom of a rise in drug trafficking crimes.
    Ground-breaking bill

"We believe that the prohibition of certain drugs is creating more problems for society than the drugs themselves... with disastrous consequences," Mr Fernandez Huidobro said, presenting the bill.

"Homicides related to settling scores have increased, and that's a clear sign that certain phenomena are appearing in Uruguay that didn't exist before," he said.

The authorities blame the rise in crime in Uruguay on hard drugs, specifically crack cocaine.

The new bill envisages that some shops would be allowed to sell marijuana cigarettes at a price fixed by the authorities.

The government also wants to create a user database to supervise consumption.

BBC regional correspondent Vladimir Hernandez says the move is seen as groundbreaking in South America.

Several Central American leaders - including the presidents of Guatemala and Costa Rica - have spoken of the need to consider decriminalising some drugs in an attempt to undermine cartels.

In Uruguay alone, the illegal marijuana market is estimated to be worth about $75m (£48m) a year.

But the new bill has already proved controversial, and the debate in Congress could take several months, our correspondent says.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Just noticed the above is a year or so old - there are more recent news about it here :

The International Narcotics Control Board warns Uruguay after the country's lower house passes a draft bill legalising marijuana.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
        Just noticed the above is a year or so old - there are more recent news about it here :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23535990
        So the Pope is against it...Man made wine...God made pot. Who do you trust?
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

They are forever talking about it here.

I don't really care whether it is decriminalized, a misdemeanor, or is legalized, so long as The Man stays off my back.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
            Man made God
            fixed
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I would thank you, Sava, but I have never ****ing thanked anyone here and I'm not about to start now.

You'll have to settle for a .
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                fixed
                Whatever...you turned my good point into an anti-religious statement. Whohoo. Good for you.

I assume that your bigotry didn't interfere with you getting the point (since it was the Pope involved and all?)
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I assume that your bigotry didn't interfere with you getting the point (since it was the Pope involved and all?)
                  Didn't God make wine at Cana? I don't even see his point.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Didn't God make wine at Cana? I don't even see his point.
                    Typically God doesn't make the wine, now does he?

My point, for the dim witted, is that the Pope is speaking out against a naturally occurring (i.e. made by God) mind altering substance while the Church regularly uses a man made (wine) mind altering substance.

I thought it was humorous.

I think its sad that I had to explain it though.

Comment

Working...
                    X