• Show
Clear All

Just watched the video. Fake?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
      Just watched the video. Fake?
      I thought so at first because who would be THAT STUPID... but alas

San Francisco plane crash: TV station duped into giving racist, false names of pilots
      Oakland's KTVU apologizes for saying 'Captain Sum Ting Wong,' 'Wi Tu Lo,' 'Ho Lee Fuk,' and 'Bang Ding Ow' flew the plane - but says NTSB had confirmed the names.

An Oakland TV station was apparently duped into giving racist, incorrect names for the pilots of the Boeing 777 that crash landed at a San Francisco airport on Saturday.

Anchor Tori Campbell of KTVU said on the air Friday that the Asiana jet crew, flying from Seoul, consisted of "Captain Sum Ting Wong," "Wi Tu Lo," "Ho Lee Fuk," and "Bang Ding Ow."

"The NTSB has confirmed these are the names of the pilots on board Flight 214 when it crashed," Campbell said during the noon report. "We are working to determine what roles each of them played during the landing on Saturday."

The station later apologized with Campbell saying on the air: "These names were not accurate despite an NTSB official confirming them this morning. We apologize for this error."
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Wow. Really? Someone thought that Wi Tu Lo was the actual *name*?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
          I thought so at first because who would be THAT STUPID... but alas
          Their website even has an apology.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Comment

"Nothing is more important to us than having the highest level of accuracy and integrity, and we are reviewing our procedures to ensure this type of error does not happen again," KTVU posted on its website.

*cough* Bull**** *cough*
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

"Nothing is more important to us THAN NOT LOOKING LIKE TOTAL MORONS, and we are reviewing our procedures to ensure this type of error does not happen again," KTVU posted on its website.

FIXED
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

It's what happens when being first is more important than being right.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Then I want more people being first because this was great, I feel happy for the ntsb "summer intern" they say did this. Ntsb interns normally do what, pick up crash debris?

Comment

The airline's lawyer, So Su Mi, is demanding the NTSB fire the intern.
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

haha!
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Where was the head of the news department when they wanted to go on air with this? Is the pressure to always be first with breaking news really that strong?
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Newscasters tend to operate on a low budget with a fairly frantic schedule--especially local network news. These people probably just got the tip from who-knows-where, didn't bother to look at the names closely, fired off an e-mail forward to the NTSB, then cut-and-pasted the names into the graphic to put on the screen. Did they read the names as they went up (I didn't watch the video)? If so, that might have been the first time anyone did so.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Somebody put the graphic together, and somebody had to type the information into the teleprompter so the announcer could read it.

I'm shocked that the person that sent the email to the NTSB even bothered sending it for confirmation after typing the email.
                                The second I saw the graphic, I started laughing. The person that created the graphic had to have looked at it a longer...
                                It's simply amazing that they went on air with this.

If "Sum Ting Wong" wasn't bad enough... "Ho Lee Fuk" was a dead give away.
                                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                                X