Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm kinda falling in love with the new pope.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also driving people out of a temple, even using whips (Scripture never says Jesus actually whipped the money lenders, just used the whip to drive them out - and in every Passion movie I've seen Jesus is using the whip to get their attention and as a threat, but never uses it on anyone), is a far cry from smiting.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      The new pope, as far as I can tell, is not particularly different from the last two popes in anything other than superficial image. Which kentonio seems to be eating right up.
      Meet the new pope
      The same as the old pope
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        and in every Passion movie I've seen Jesus is using the whip to get their attention and as a threat, but never uses it on anyone
        I bet all those movies had Jesus played by a white dude too.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Well, as Al B. Sure! will inform you, middle easterners are white.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            Also driving people out of a temple, even using whips (Scripture never says Jesus actually whipped the money lenders, just used the whip to drive them out - and in every Passion movie I've seen Jesus is using the whip to get their attention and as a threat, but never uses it on anyone), is a far cry from smiting.
            Trading in the Temple was how those guys paid their bills. It was what kept them from starving. Short of some holy smiting they weren't going to back away from their livelihood.

Smiting 1 - Not smiting 0
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I hope he survives, John Paul I tried to reform the Vatican and didn't last.

Note for non-catholics - except for a small minority of catholics like Ben, the Vatican, good or bad, just isn't that important to their faith life. Protestants and athiests seem to take far more interest in the goings on there.
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Note for non-catholics - except for a small minority of catholics like Ben, the Vatican, good or bad, just isn't that important to their faith life. Protestants and athiests seem to take far more interest in the goings on there.
                Well ok. Thanks AH. That means a lot to me.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                  Remember the money changers in the Temple? Jesus smote the **** out of them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]174550[/ATTACH]
                  Why does Jesus have tiny arms?
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Clearly he was an agent of Satan.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Evolution. Shorter arms means less leverage on the shoulders when on the cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Well ok. Thanks AH. That means a lot to me.
                        Don't mention it

The real human leadership of the church is, and always has been, the saints. From age to age this has been true, with a few exceptions the Popes are not remembered, but everyone knows of Saint Paul, Francis of Assisi and so forth right down to the present day with people like Mother Teresa and Padre Pio. These are the people that inspire catholics.
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The real human leadership of the church is, and always has been, the saints. From age to age this has been true, with a few exceptions the Popes are not remembered, but everyone knows of Saint Paul, Francis of Assisi and so forth right down to the present day with people like Mother Teresa and Padre Pio. These are the people that inspire catholics.
                          To someone coming from the outside - what's remarkably Catholic was Pope John Paul II. To me and many others, he *was* Catholicism personified. Then you have someone like Benedict. Then Francis, etc. It's been an embarrassment of riches for this past while.

I didn't know very much about Francis of Assisi, and we regarded St. Paul as one of ours. We don't have that legacy that you folks have with a Catholic education and being familiar with the long lists of Saints.

As for Popes, I'd beg to differ. There have been some really important ones. My list, those I consider significant to teach about in my class:

St. Paul
                          Pope Damasus
                          St. Leo the Great
                          Gregory the Great
                          Leo III
                          Nicolas the Great
                          Gregory VII
                          Gregory XIII
                          Urban II
                          Innocent III
                          Pius V
                          Pius IX
                          Leo XIII
                          Pius X
                          John Paul II
                          Benedict XVI
                          Last edited by Ben Kenobi; July 1, 2013, 02:16.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

In Catholic school, we weren't taught about any but the current pope. But we knew all the saints' names (and in many cases, anecdotal stories) because we had to pick one for our confirmation name.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                              Why does Jesus have tiny arms?
                              Also:

What are those animals on the lower left?

Are the two old guys on the right making out?

Who's the hobbit with the dove?
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

In Catholic school, we weren't taught about any but the current pope. But we knew all the saints' names (and in many cases, anecdotal stories) because we had to pick one for our confirmation name.
                                Interesting! I have one class for that, and I bring out all the cards and students can look through it. I confess I find it difficult to teach the saints because there are simply so many of them and I don't know the stories all that well. I need to spend more time on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X