Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Californians complain about secondhand smoke

Summary:

8 of the 10 most particulate polluted cities in the US are in California.

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Anyone want to put an over/under on how many posts it'll be before Oerdin barges in to tell us how it's all the Republican party's fault?

Comment

You're a one trick pony sometimes.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Most of those are because of the geography. Though it is interesting to note that the US seems to be a couple of decades behind the rest of the west when it comes to emissions controls.
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

This coming from a country that doesn't really count.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Texas? Yeah, you're right.

I passed right across Texas and only stopped once to find out that the Alamo is the lie I thought it was...
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
              Most of those are because of the geography. Though it is interesting to note that the US seems to be a couple of decades behind the rest of the west when it comes to emissions controls.
              True on both counts. Yes, if you check the list the central valley is way over represented (as are other low lying valleys surrounded by mountains). In the warm, dry climate particulates get trapped in the valleys and don't get washed out of the air as happens in places where it rains more. You'll notice California does much better on other measurements such a sulfides, unburned hydrocarbons, and NOx. Also the particulate counts in the central valley always go up when ever it is plowing season because the whole area is farmland with a few medium sized cities dotting it. Wind picks up the dust causing particulate counts to spike. In any event, it doesn't effect me as I live on the coast and not in the central valley.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

In before Dinner blames Mexicans.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                  Anyone want to put an over/under on how many posts it'll be before Oerdin barges in to tell us how it's all the Republican party's fault?
                  I blame China.

California Pollution: Made in China?
                  Scientists have long known that pollution and dust from China travels over the Pacific to the western United States. What they haven’t been able to figure out is how much. Until now.

Bloomberg News
                  A Chinese coking factory: How much of this exhaust ends up over Fisherman’s Wharf?
                  In a paper published in the latest issue of the scholarly journal Environmental Science and Technology and picked up by Chemical & Engineering News, a team of geochemists announced that they have developed a method for tracing fine airborne particulate pollution (also known as PM2.5 because the particles are less than 2.5 microns wide) with origins in East Asia by testing for a specific lead isotope, 208Pb, found in greater concentrations in coal and metal ores from the region.

Led by University of California, Berkeley, postdoctoral researcher Stephanie Ewing, the team applied the isotope filter to samples from the San Francisco Bay Area, curious to see how much of northern California’s pollution came from East Asia.

The answer? A lot.

From the Chemical & Engineering News report:

From December 2007 through May 2008, the researchers collected particulate pollution samples from two sites in the San Francisco Bay Area: an urban location, Chabot Observatory, as well as a coastal location, Mt. Tamalpais, where city pollution would be limited. They filtered out the PM2.5 from the samples and measured its lead isotope abundances with multiple-collector inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (MC-ICPMS).
                  At both sites, levels of 208Pb jumped at the same time between March and May. This isotope spike coincided with the spring, when Asian dust storms are most intense, so the researchers concluded that 208Pb isotopes are a marker for PM2.5 from eastern Asia. When they analyzed data from the entire six-month survey, Ewing and her team found that the median proportion of Asian lead in the PM2.5 was 29%.
                  The question now is how much of that 29% can be attributed to San Francisco’s penchant for China-made iPhones and iPads?

– Josh Chin. Follow him on Twitter @joshchin
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

California...where everyone is waiting on "the big one" so they can surf to Denver.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                      I bet there's no pollution spillover from North Korea. They aren't all bad.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                        True on both counts. Yes, if you check the list the central valley is way over represented (as are other low lying valleys surrounded by mountains). In the warm, dry climate particulates get trapped in the valleys and don't get washed out of the air as happens in places where it rains more. You'll notice California does much better on other measurements such a sulfides, unburned hydrocarbons, and NOx. Also the particulate counts in the central valley always go up when ever it is plowing season because the whole area is farmland with a few medium sized cities dotting it. Wind picks up the dust causing particulate counts to spike. In any event, it doesn't effect me as I live on the coast and not in the central valley.
                        San Diego; in 3.5 years of entering and leaving the port, I saw Mexico in the distance 1 time, I wondered what it was. Usually , it was a big brown cloud.

;p ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                          Republicans DO love their cars.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            You're a one trick pony sometimes.
                            You're just angry cause I stole your thunder.

Comment

was that before or after they legalised pot?
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X