Explosions at Boston Marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    It's not a complicated device, AH. Anyone with a modicum of skill could build one.
    My use of "Complex" refers to the attack not the device.

If there is more than one incident or point of attack involved, it is called a complex terroist attack. Unfortunately, this one was complex, and very well executed with high impact, which points to a degree of experience or training. Not many people could pull off an attack like that so well, which should help to whittle down the suspects hopefully.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• but but but... ISLAM
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Which it still could be. We're all just pooping out theories here.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• April 19 is the Waco and Oklahoma anniversary date.
          Coincidence?

Comment

• Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
            Alex can find a conspiracy in a non working toilet.
            Very true.

Back to Sava's post, which I have been thinking about more. Sava claimed that other than it happening to be tax day there was nothing else to suggest the possibility of this being an attack by right wing extremists. I agree that there is no hard evidence and we'll have to wait to find out who actually did it to find out what motivated them but that said there is more than just the fact that it was tax day as a hint at a possible motivation.

-There is the fact that Post-Newtown massacre Massachusetts passed strong new gun control legislation which very publicly enraged many of the gun nuts on the far right.

-There is the fact that the particular last mile of the race was dedicated to the Sandy Hook victims and was being used as a fund raiser for additional gun control measures and that several of the Sandy Hook Families were reported in the media as going to attend the event; those are people the conspiracy nuts think are conspiring with Obama to steal their guns.

-It was tax day which is a date every right wing nutjob hates and uses for a rallying cry to action.

-Finally it is a city in a state which the die hard right wing extremists absolutely loath because it continues to be rich and highly successful despite all of their ideological talking points. Their two favorite states to hate are Massachusetts and California.

Again, none of that is conclusive of anything and we don't know if those facts motivated the attacker or not but it isn't fair to say there is nothing which wouldn't have made the event a tempting target for a right wing domestic terrorist. I suppose we will know in time.

Edit: Oh, I forgot! The gun nuts love to use the NRA talking point claiming massacres can be brought about without using guns therefor there is no need for gun control of any sort. Yes, I could see someone trying to prove a point (especially if they were deranged about Sandy Hook as so many Alex Jones listeners are, thinking it a conspiracy) by carrying out a mass killing out not using a gun. "See! All those people were killed despite Massachusetts new gun control law!" Ignoring that one untrained gunman killed two dozen or more in five minutes with an AR-15 while this bomber only managed to kill three with all his advanced planning.
            Last edited by Dinner; April 16, 2013, 23:13.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I seem to recall a biography of McVeigh saying that he picked that day because of Waco.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• oerdin, you really piss me off sometimes
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                  I seem to recall a biography of McVeigh saying that he picked that day because of Waco.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                    I had trolled with this before (), but it seems more relevant here.

The need for more monitoring of domestic terrorism

If it does turn out to be a domestic terrorist, it's a shame that partisan politics caused the very people who may have caught this early to be cut.
                    The FBI has repeatedly warned that since Obama has been elected there has been a surge in right wing militia groups and racist hate groups threatening violence. Republicans didn't like the implications of that, especially as they were busy actively trying to court these groups and pander to them, so they attacked the FBI for their reports and killed funding for any efforts to track or identify violent right wing groups with in the country. Given how there have been dozens of violent right wing attacks in this country every year since then there is no doubt in my mind those Republican politicians have blood on their hands no matter who was behind the tax day bombing.

Comment

• I still remember watching events unfold that day. I was in junior high. For some reason, we had a TV in the room and were watching it live during class.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• all I can say is that attack was eerily like attacks I saw in Afghanistan - almost like a replay or rewind to another time in my life - raising another possibility - functioning but disgruntled vet, or even maybe refugee or migrant, with PTSD
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	LiveLeak-dot-com-2e687afad7fa-marathonbombbeforeandafter2_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	9095176

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            I still remember watching events unfold that day. I was in junior high. For some reason, we had a TV in the room and were watching it live during class.
                            For me it was 9/11. I was only in elementary school at the time--3rd grade, but I knew something was up because a bunch of kids went home early and there were cryptic messages on the PA, and all the teachers looked really upset. The administration decided not to tell us anything but as soon as I got home my mom was super upset, I can't remember if she was crying, but the news was on the television in the living room and I saw the towers collapsing. It was the far and away scariest thing I had seen in my life up to that point. I think I had nightmares about being in a collapsing building that night.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• I had just got home off the night shift from work on both accounts.

I was in elementary school when Watergate happened.

Comment

• I remember the OKC bombing too, Sava. The local news truck which arrived to film one side of the building completely gone with the other still standing with the insides hanging out, well, the reporter was completely at a lose for words and the anchor back at the news station was trying to talk her through it. 9/11 is another one I remember like yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X