Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The end is near: Fast Food now outsells all other restaurant food in France.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spicy != Hot
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Hence the term "Hot and Spicy"
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Tastes like a pleonasm to me.
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

But then, expressions like "null and void", "will and testament", "over and above", "breaking and entering" use two different words with an "and" to emphasise a point rather than express two different attributes. Albeit they traditionally come from two different root words in different languages and in a legal context.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Breaking and entering are clearly two very different things.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Bad example.

But they do derive from two languages to emphasise a point.

Comment

Yeah, other than that, it was a good point. Shame you ruined it.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

The thing is, the French do food very well, even fast food tastes better
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I know spicy != hot, however, there are groups of indians who believe in very low spice (for spiritual reasons).

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                      The thing is, the French do food very well, even fast food tastes better
                      "The Italians put garlic in at the beginning, to fully awaken the flavor. The french put garlic in at the end, they say to have a more delicate flavor, but we know the real reason for it is that the French can't cook." - Lidia Bastianich
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

In Greece, McDonalds are run like a short order grille. The Greeks don't cook anything until they take your order. The fast food is better there too.
                        But its not fast, its Greek!

I don't remember having any in Italy, now that would be kind of a crime....
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          Pakistani food sucks too, of course.
                          What an ignorant remark.

You talk like somebody who's never had a potato-and-pea samosa, or a sheet of really good tandoori naan, or some lightly-seasoned (and not at all hot) lamb kebab--all available at my favorite kebab house.
                          Elok

Doesn't he just.

Spicy != Hot
                          Mike H

I agree that it is often or mostly used to mean that, but in a broader context, 'spicy' could refer to fennel, cardamom, cumin, coriander, asafoetida, ginger, mace, nutmeg, mustard seeds, galangal, candlenuts- not all of which are as hot as chilli. And a korma or dupiaza or pasanda or dansak can be full of spice and mild.... mmm, Lamb Pasanda.

I do like the hotter dishes, especially a properly prepared vindaloo, but when chilli is all you can taste in a dish, then it's a dish that hasn't been cooked well. I do wonder what was used in the Indian sub-continent before the arrival of chilli....
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

!= means "does not equal".

Comment

!= != =, != = !=

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                                != means "does not equal".
                                I agree. I was merely saying that 'spicy' is often used in talking about food or cooking as a synonym for chilli-hot or piquant, but many sauces or dishes containing a large amounts of different spices are aromatic and full of flavour, but lack the tongue blistering effect of some Thai or southern Indian dishes.

The Iranian and Afghan and Turkish cuisines particularly use unusual items such as charred lemon zest or put rosewater in salads and some Moroccan dishes like Bstilla combine icing sugar and cinnamon with savoury fillings cooked in orris root and I have to stop now because I'm salivating.
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X