What is the point of owning guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    To gun people like me it's not glorification.

This is the kind of thing that gun people like:

That is a nice-looking gun.

If I were to pose with a gun, I would have it unloaded and pointed in a safe direction. I would be posing in a way that shows off the gun, not the fact that I am holding it and capable of using it.

What is that?

Comment

Meanwhile in the rest of America... Love them gun sounds!

8 million and 4 million youtube hits. Album #1 on the US Rap charts.

Waka might be the worst rapper in the world but his popularity is undeniable.

Is this not gun culture?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
        That's the Navy.
        marines are the foot soldiers of the navy.
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	589157_02_winchester_1300_defender_640.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	9094505

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
            Let us be real.

What is the purpose in a civilian owning anything beyond revolvers, bolt-action rifles, and shotguns? Those satisfy all sport and defense needs.

Aside from OCS, the entirety of my experience with guns has been negative with me on the end of them on a few robbery occasions and actually losing two friends to gun violence.

Obviously, gun control is not feasible but we need to transcend this obsession with guns. Some people (including posters here) treat firearms like cult items. This fetishization of guns probably starts in youth. I wonder about gun ownership rates among those who didn't grow up with guns (ie- first generation gun owners). I imagine they are relatively rare.

Let's think about other issues. Cannabis should be legal but we should certainly discourage its use, especially among teens. Maintaining Roe but addressing the causes of unwanted pregnancies that lead to abortion would surely be better than overturning Roe while leaving those issues unaddressed. Likewise, we need to discourage gun culture and the motivations behind gun violence.
            Think about it. What else are you going to defend yourself with when the Commies come to take away your freedoms? With a gun the government can't impose unreasonable demands like, say, don't grow marijuana on your property for your own consumption or we'll haul you away so you can rot in jail.

Comment

I love how the gun lovers are out of touch with America and don't recognize their fellow gun lovers in the hood. They don't recognize that the glorification of gun violence contributes to gun violence.

This quote is such a laugher

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
              The "gun culture" in America isn't really responsible for a meaningful number of deaths. The "gun culture" people who celebrate firearms are wholly distinct from the people who use guns to kill people.
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So maybe there are two gun cultures: Hood rat gun culture and rural/southern gun culture? That ever occur to you?
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

It's not "gun culture" unless you're white, duh...

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  So maybe there are two gun cultures: Hood rat gun culture and rural/southern gun culture? That ever occur to you?
                  Yeah and I think the rural/southern gun culture isn't lynching people so much these days so there's no need to demonize them.

Comment

Waka Flocka is from Riverdale, Georgia (population 12,000). I brought his country ass up specifically.

How about Eminem's protege, Yelawolf, out of Gadsden, Alabama (actually Rainbow City, AL, a town of 8000 people)? "He got an old Mossberg in the mossy oak duffle bag layin in the back of the donk boy"

Most country **** ever. Seriously look at this video:

If it wasn't rap, Regexcellent and HC would probably get a hard on.

Explain to me where the demarcation is between 'Hood rat' and 'rural/southern' in this context?
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 15, 2013, 22:48.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                      It's not "gun culture" unless you're white, duh...
                      Which is why I brought up Yelawolf:

Old white man with the Mossberg shooting an intruder in that video.

"They don't know that old man don't hold hands or throw hands naw he's rough like a brillo
                      Went to the Chevy and pulled out a machete and a gun as heavy and tall as the midget willow"

It mightaswell be NRA-promoted.
                      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 15, 2013, 22:54.

Comment

BOOM! Headshot.

Just blew HC's pampered mind and his deification of the South. The overlap between his fetishized Southern/rural culture and Camden, NJ is right there. I know people from Chattanooga. Trust there's little difference between Chattanooga and North Philly except more white people.

And my Chattanooga friends are obsessed with guns. So are hood ass people I know in Philly.
                        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 15, 2013, 23:22.

Comment

As Felch said in another thread, this isn't the soviet union. We don't need an affirmative reason to have something.
                          Thank god we have HC here to repeat other people's arguments for us.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                            Thank god we have HC here to repeat other people's arguments for us.
                            He's Apolyton's own opinion aggregator!

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

Looks like "gun culture" to me. How else would you describe it?
                              Urban culture that glorifies crime.
                              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                                What is that?

Something expensive by Browning.
                                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                                X