Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like to propose a 28th Amendment to U.S. Constitution ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like to propose a 28th Amendment to U.S. Constitution ......

that would require all congresspersons to obey all laws that all other citizens have to obey.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Anything that restrains congress is a non-starter.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Or requires congress to take responsibility.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
        Anything that restrains congress is a non-starter.
        Article Five allows another method to get an amendment passed.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
          Article Five allows another method to get an amendment passed.
          Sure. And do you think the party machines which operate the big money troughs that keep all the bad piggies fat and happy are going to just sit and let state legislatures do such a thing? It takes majority approval of both houses of 34 state legislatures. Nobody has ever seriously tried it because it would be so easy to block.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Sure. And do you think the party machines which operate the big money troughs that keep all the bad piggies fat and happy are going to just sit and let state legislatures do such a thing? It takes majority approval of both houses of 34 state legislatures. Nobody has ever seriously tried it because it would be so easy to block.

Comment

Immigration would be a good start.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

that would require all congresspersons to obey all laws that all other citizens have to obey.
                That's redundant because they are already required to follow all laws that the rest of us do. Voted 1, delete thread.

e: well I guess they're not required to pay minimum wage to their staffers (I think), of course the problem there is that the minimum wage shouldn't exist for anyone

Comment

They reasonably can't be arrested/detained for minor misdemeanor kerfuffles (DUI etc) when attempting to attend session.

Members of Congress may be arrested while attending Congressional sessions only for treason, felony or breach of peace pursuant to Article I, Section 6 of the Constitution.
                  The Patrick Kennedy clause of the constitution IIRC.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

How about insider trading?

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                      That's redundant because they are already required to follow all laws that the rest of us do. Voted 1, delete thread.
                      Actually, Congress has the right to exempt itself from the provisions of specific bills (it has been done in the past), but the exemption must be expressly stated in the statute to be effective. Voting for such a bill is political suicide nowadays.

e: well I guess they're not required to pay minimum wage to their staffers (I think), of course the problem there is that the minimum wage shouldn't exist for anyone
                      Yes, because the US was such the economic powerhouse back in the days when we had no labor laws.

Comment

Yes, because the US was such the economic powerhouse back in the days when we had no labor laws.
                        We've been the top economic power since the 1870s

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                          We've been the top economic power since the 1870s
                          In the 1870s, etc., the economic advantage was land and resources (silver and gold booms didn't hurt either), plus war and political instability in Europe. Once you factor out one-time benefits such as the Comstock lode, gold rushes in Alaska and the Black Hills, and free land to be taken as fast as you could kill the Indians on it, then the US economic performance vis-a-vis the rest of the more or less stable world wasn't a big deal. The US did not derive any benefit from labor exploitation.

Comment

what the hell is breach of peace?

sounds like drunk in public but there's no way that'd be grouped in with treason

Comment

How would this improve your life in any way?

Comment

Working...
                              X