Dead body paraded around in Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

The papal bull was issued AFTER, not before, she had executed most of the priests in England for the crime of 'performing mass'.

Date of Papal Bull in question:

25 February 1570. It states:
    has thrown the Catholic prelates and parsons into prison where many, worn out by long languishing and sorrow, have miserably ended their lives.
    So the Papal Bull states her government put priests in jail. It doesn't say: 'her government executed them for their religious beliefs'. If as you claim (without any proof shown) that her government had in fact

executed most of the priests in England
    for 'the crime of performing mass' before 1570, then don't you imagine the Pope might just somehow have slipped this rather significant fact into this document ?

Your opinion? It doesn't matter what you think.
    Ding dong.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
      Probably the worst in English history was the Norman conquest, .
      Which, by the way, may well have been carried out with blessing of the then Pope....

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post

Having a large empire by definition means that you aren't a backwater.
        Uh huh. So the Spanish and Ottoman Empires weren't intellectual backwaters then ? In comparison, say with 17th Century France and England ?

Spain had the Inquisition and the printing press was banned in the Ottoman Empire. Very forward looking....

Comment

• lol Molly that damn Pope again
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Wow! This has been my best troll ever!
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• congrats lol
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

lol Molly that damn Pope again
                It's as bad as a soap opera.

Click image for larger version

Name:	soap_on_a_rope.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	9094502

Comment

• I just bought a history of the Popes - more twists than a cheap novel.

Comment

I just bought a history of the Popes - more twists than a cheap novel.
                    I like Barbara Tuchman's chapter on the Renaissance Popes in 'The March Of Folly'. It almost has you shouting at the pontiffs in question not to be such venal simoniacal knobheads.

I recommend this to you and Dr. S if you haven't read it. I have only the early Paladin paperback, but it's still a mighty fine read:

The Monks Of War

Comment

• will look into it, the one I got is a serious history but still reads like a ripping yarn

Comment

• I don't know all that much about Don Bosco, but welcome this opportunity to learn more. I can handle the dead body without being queasy.

I worked with the Salesians of Don Bosco for a summer. A very good lot.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• third largest catholic missionary organisation in the world, doing a lot more good than the couple of bucks Strangelove and his friends put in the Episcopalian poor box on Sunday

Comment

Working...
                          X