Sperm Donor forced to pay child support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    Oh, I missed that detail. But it's hardly justice to force the donor to pay.
    Yeah, it's not what you would call justice, OTOH how does one distinguish between a one night stand pregnancy (regardless of sexualities), and an unofficial sperm donation with turkey baster. Point being, why should the state be culpable for the kid when the parent is out there? Because part of me doesn't see much difference between what this guy did and the one night stand.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I would wonder if the option of obtaining a sperm donor through the usual medical channels was possible in Kansas in this sort of situatiuon, a lesbian couple desiring to bear a child. I'm also wondering if the original agreement was written by a lawyer.
      If it was then Marotta should sue the lawyer.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
        And force the state to pay? That can actually be abused in a fair few situations.
        The mother should pay. If she can't then she should get welfare like everyone else who can't pay their bills.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
          I would wonder if the option of obtaining a sperm donor through the usual medical channels was possible in Kansas in this sort of situatiuon, a lesbian couple desiring to bear a child. I'm also wondering if the original agreement was written by a lawyer.
          If it was then Marotta should sue the lawyer.
          Relinquishment of support obligations (as opposed to parental rights) are typically against public policy, so they're void. A competent lawyer would have advised. The legality changes if done through a licensed physician, because privilege attaches and the state has no means to obtain the biological father's/donors identity.

Despite it being Kansas, I doubt the couple's status as a lesbian had much to do with it. The definition of parentage is pretty standard in child support laws (and the law hasn't really caught up to donors or surrogacy). It's also not easy to change as it's a state law matter subject to uniform support enforcement acts, so one or more states making changes complicates other states' performance of their obligations under both the uniform custody and support enforcement acts.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
            Yeah, it's not what you would call justice, OTOH how does one distinguish between a one night stand pregnancy (regardless of sexualities), and an unofficial sperm donation with turkey baster. Point being, why should the state be culpable for the kid when the parent is out there? Because part of me doesn't see much difference between what this guy did and the one night stand.
            It's a good question. And also, what MtG said. There is a reason why if a licensed physician is used this could have been avoided.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              It's a good question. And also, what MtG said. There is a reason why if a licensed physician is used this could have been avoided.
              It's also what I said.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

This is a fairly retarded judgement. Observation: With some sort of civil union law, she could have had a judgement forcing her ex-partner pay child support.
                They have 8! adopted kids. What was that Mr. Fun about gay people making good parents?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

One good overgeneralization deserves another? There are ****ed up gay parents and straight parents. News at 10.

I know a gay couple (white) who adopted two sibling black kids out of a horrendously abusive situation (the boy at four was nearly beaten to death by his "father" and has permanent cognitive issues as a result, his sister at two was severely malnourished and had mid-term cognitive issues for several years. The kids then bounced around multiple foster situations for a couple of years before they were adopted. This couple took kids nobody wanted, kept them together, and have provided a safe, stable, loving, supportive home for almost 8 years now.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

One good overgeneralization deserves another?
                    Mr. Fun's been shilling one story, and here we see it's not true at all.

I know a gay couple (white) who adopted two sibling black kids out of a horrendously abusive situation (the boy at four was nearly beaten to death by his "father" and has permanent cognitive issues as a result, his sister at two was severely malnourished and had mid-term cognitive issues for several years. The kids then bounced around multiple foster situations for a couple of years before they were adopted. This couple took kids nobody wanted, kept them together, and have provided a safe, stable, loving, supportive home for almost 8 years now.
                    I know one couple that adopted two kids, ditched them both when they split up and my mother had to help with their placement. They ended up ok, but they stayed with us for about a month or so until their father was able to get ahold of us and took his kids back.

I know another gay person who split up her family, took her kid, and treats the dad like crap. All while demanding child support.

So that's two cases in my immediate neighbourhood.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

So this is what passes as an argument in the Beniverse?
                      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So this is what passes as an argument in the Beniverse?
                        MTG considers personal anecdotes to be a valid argument. Goose -> Gander.

Comment

You do live up to your reputation, Ben.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            MTG considers personal anecdotes to be a valid counterpoint to an overly broad generalization. Goose -> Shotgun -> Dinner.
                            Fixed.

Comment

Have you had Goose? It's wonderful.

Comment

I doubt this was political or anything, just the bureaucracy at work - its SOP for them to make the father pony up if they can find him. And that was considered an improvement since many people were mad at fathers running away from their responsibilities and leaving the taxpayers holding the...child.

well, okay, tough times have hit and they're breaking up and asking the state to help...but hell, I hope them the best. Seems like the world would be a better place with more people like them.

Comment

Working...
                                X