Long night...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long night...

Got the dreaded call at 2:30am -- Mom took a fall and was rushed to the hospital.

She hit her head pretty hard. Couldn't get up or get help, so was laying on the bathroom floor bleeding for a couple hours. Finally a neighbor heard her calling for help (she lives in a senior community). They called 911, then called me.

So I've been at the hospital since then.

She's 85, heart and BP issues, and had a hematoma several years ago, so any kind of blow to the head is pretty serious. Fortunately, the CAT scan came back clean. Once they stabilized her and got her off the immobilizing board, they were able to clean her up. Turns out she basically has a laceration to her ear, lost a fair amount of blood. Her ear is a bruised, purple mess, but it looks like she will be OK.

She's in for x-rays to her back now. If that comes back with no fractures, she might be permitted to go home.

That would be awesome... We shall see.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Damn, sorry to hear that JR. Good thing your mom is going to be ok.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

That's tough. I'm sorry to hear.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

sorry to hear that JR. i hope everything turns out ok.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

So, turns out the whole "walking on my own" thing is a bit problematic (though I think she's mostly exhausted, having been awake all night with no food). Plus we discovered a wrist injury that wasn't noticed previously.

So she's being admitted, probably just for a day. Better safe than sorry.

I don't usually post this kind of personal stuff, but I thought of MrFun's mom and decided to share. Thanks for your positive wishes.
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

You take care of that mama. Mine is 81 and occupying a lot of time. She lives alone?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I don't usually post this kind of personal stuff, but I thought of MrFun's mom and decided to share. Thanks for your positive wishes.
              You're welcome JR. Keep up the good work.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yeah Sloww, her husband passed last year. She lives independent, but each new health event - hip replacement, pacemaker, car crash - takes a little more out of her. It just gets harder and harder to bounce back.

This could have been a lot worse. Looks like she'll be fine, but the recovery time will be days, not hours.

Thanks again, guys.

Comment

bummer

sounds like she'll recover though, so thats good

Comment

All the best, JR.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I just saw this thread. Glad to hear your mom will be okay.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Hopefully she will be OK.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Best wishes for your moms recovery.

Have you considered one of these alarm devices she could carry around ? No, I don't mean telephone - one of these that alerts 112.
                          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Oh yes, her Life Alert necklace was conveniently draped over her bedpost as she lay helpless on the bathroom floor... Lesson learned, believe me.

Comment

If my mom had an alert, she'd forget about it.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X