[AWB]Dems prep ground for 2014 Electoral Defeat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felch View Post
    Was it the Republicans who did this to my state? Or is it possible that both sides are guilty of gerrymandering?
    You realize they don't necessarily benefit equally from gerrymandering, right?

Comment

This guy uses analogies that are easy to understand as true.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
        You realize they don't necessarily benefit equally from gerrymandering, right?
        As long as both sides are rigging elections, I don't want to hear any complaints about it from either side. If the Dems took a principled stance against gerrymandering, then that'd be different.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
          As long as both sides are rigging elections, I don't want to hear any complaints about it from either side. If the Dems took a principled stance against gerrymandering, then that'd be different.
          You don't want to hear any complaints? That's too bad. Sadly your proclamation that you don't want to hear it doesn't change the factual accuracy of what Dinner said.

Comment

Sadly your proclamation that you don't want to hear it doesn't change the factual accuracy of what Dinner said.

True so true, if only it would. And by "factual accuracy of what Dinner said" that in reality means incoherently wrong on numerous levels.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Feinstein's bill bans handguns with detachable magazines. That is, everything but revolvers. Oh man, she has really shot for the stars here. This will be entertaining. Harry Reid is going to take one look at it and then chuck it in the garbage.

Why are California's senators so retarded? And not just on gun control; Barbara Boxer literally endorsed infanticide circa 2000.

Comment

You don't want to hear any complaints? That's too bad. Sadly your proclamation that you don't want to hear it doesn't change the factual accuracy of what Dinner said.
                You're right, it's terrible that I'm sick of hypocrisy. Instead I should just cheer on the Democrats, because when they do the wrong thing, it's for the right reasons. Hooray for criticizing our opponents, and then turning around and doing the exact same thing. Us Democrats are the best, and when we manipulate democracy, it's for the people's own good.

Comment

All your whining about how Dinner is supposedly a hypocrite doesn't change the fact that the Republicans were able to leverage their victories in state government elections in 2010 to create a map that would strongly favor the Republicans.

Comment

That's how the game is played in this country. With luck the same results will be seen in 2014 after Feinstein's gun control bonanza crashes and burns like Hillarycare in the '90s.

Comment

All your whining about how Dinner is supposedly a hypocrite doesn't change the fact that the Republicans were able to leverage their victories in state government elections in 2010 to create a map that would strongly favor the Republicans.
                      And all your whining about the Republicans doesn't change the fact that the Democrats try to cheat as well, but just aren't as good at it.

Comment

Hmm... nope, that still doesn't refute this:
                        Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                        The repubs are going to continue to do well in bi year elections simply because they gerrymandered house districts at the state level to hell and back.
                        Keep trying, maybe you'll post something relevant.

Comment

Hey Lonestar, M1 Carbines are on the list of "Assault weapons." So are all pistols with a threaded barrel. It's pretty ridiculous.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.)—author of the federal “assault weapon” and “large” ammunition magazine ban of 1994-2004—has announced that on the first day of the new Congress—January 3rd— she will introduce a bill to which her 1994 ban will pale by comparison. On Dec. 17th, Feinstein said, “I have been working with my staff for over a year on this legislation” and “It will be carefully focused.” Indicating the depth of her research on the issue, she said on Dec. 21st that she had personally looked at pictures of guns in 1993, and again in 2012. According to a Dec. 27th posting on Sen. Feinstein’s website and a draft of the bill obtained by NRA-ILA, the new ban would, among other things, adopt new definitions of “assault weapon” that would affect a much larger variety of firearms, require current owners of such firearms to register them with the federal government under the National Firearms Act, and require forfeiture of the firearms upon the deaths of their current owners.

Comment

Extremely. While people are busy worrying about tha availability of firearms, they better be mindful of ammunition. That's where we'll get kicked in the nuts.
                            Don't buy something like a Bushmaster right now. People are freaking out and buying heavy and prices are up. Wait and buy later.
                            Another thing to be considered a threat, the possibility of gun shows going away.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If I would be an American I would seriously consider moving to Europe.
                              So many people buying guns and heavy weapons.... this must go out of control.

And debating weapon owners about weapon restrictions is like debating kids about restricting gaming activities. There will be always reasons to advocate your ridiculous point of view. In the end it's not the arguments that define someones opinion, it's someones opinion that defines ones arguments.

I'm absolutely pro-democratic lawmaking.
                              And if the majority of the people doesn't want gun control, then democracy has it's way.
                              The problem here though is that gun-ownership isn't something that only affects the owners. Those who oppose it, the kids, the weak, those who don't have weapons, can still be killed by them.

Maybe someone should invent weapons that can only harm people who own weapons themselves. That would be a truly democratic approach to control gun ownership.
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                                If I would be an American I would seriously consider moving to Europe.
                                So many people buying guns and heavy weapons.... this must go out of control.

In many states it's more difficult to get ahold of firearms(legally) then it is in some European countries and Canada(Finland comes to mind). Our Federal system creates a mish-mash of gun laws.

There's over 300mil privately owned firearms in the US(although some people claim it's closer to 400mil). Let's say that 20% of them are "evil black rifles", like the AR Family, the AK family, FALs, PTRs, Kel-tecs, Beretta Storms, And M-14 derivatives that have been "tacticooled up". This doesn't count semiautomatic rifles that are functionally the same as Black Rifles, like M1 Carbines(the US Government dumped over 4 million of them into the civilian market), M-14s, and Mini-14s.

So, we're around 60 million or more.

How many of those are used in crime? Or mass shootings? The answer...not many. Most violent crime committed with firearms is done with handguns. But handguns tend not to be target of gun legislation in the US. They aren't scary enough and they're accepted as home defense weapons, while only "crazy spree killers" use black rifles.

And debating weapon owners about weapon restrictions is like debating kids about restricting gaming activities. There will be always reasons to advocate your ridiculous point of view. In the end it's not the arguments that define someones opinion, it's someones opinion that defines ones arguments.

I'm absolutely pro-democratic lawmaking.
                                And if the majority of the people doesn't want gun control, then democracy has it's way.
                                The problem here though is that gun-ownership isn't something that only affects the owners. Those who oppose it, the kids, the weak, those who don't have weapons, can still be killed by them.

You drink Alcohol?

More people get killed by alcohol-related deaths in the US than by firearms in the US. Heck, more people get killed by Vehicular homicide(most of those occured with the killer being under the influence or intoxicated) in the US then by firearm-related Homicide(which also includes cops killing people, and self-defense in the numbers).

Alcohol destroys families as well, it certainly affects people other than the consumers.

So, why not ban alcohol? It has no use other than the sensation it provides the consumer.

Well, the answer is that we trust consumers of alcohol to generally be responsible, and that the societal costs of banning The Devils Drink would far out weigh the societal benefits.

(IMO, this argument could be made about weed as well)

The same answer is with firearms. We trust legal firearm owners to be generally responsible, and that the societal costs of banning the things far outweigh the societal benefits. Especially with more guns then people in the country.

Maybe someone should invent weapons that can only harm people who own weapons themselves. That would be a truly democratic approach to control gun ownership.
                                Like Alcohol?
                                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                                X