The Official 2012 Presidential Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
    Ordinary people who see prices of ammo rising will buy their ammo now and try to get in before prices rise too much. Ordinary people who think that they might not be able to get certain types of ammo in the future will buy it now. Ordinary people who use ammo and want to get it at lower cost will buy lots of ammo at once.

In the United States gun owners are ordinary people. Lots of people own guns. Something like half of all families have guns in the home.
    What reason do they have for thinking they might not be able to get certain types of ammo later? It can't have anything to do with the election results unless they are insane and/or stupid.

Comment

• Oh, plenty of them are. You can take THAT to the bank.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Simple microeconomic principle: if the price is expected to go up--and there are enough crazies that it will--then more people will buy it speculatively, causing the price to go up further. This continues until the price climbs to the point where people figure, forget buying ammo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          They're not stockpiling for a race war, idiot. They're stockpiling as a hedge against gun laws.
          Because they're retards who think new gun laws can be enacted.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
            Simple microeconomic principle: if the price is expected to go up--and there are enough crazies that it will--then more people will buy it speculatively, causing the price to go up further. This continues until the price climbs to the point where people figure, forget buying ammo.
            Or they can just wait for more ammunition to get manufactured. If you can't go a while without shooting guns something is wrong with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
              What reason do they have for thinking they might not be able to get certain types of ammo later? It can't have anything to do with the election results unless they are insane and/or stupid.
              They're worried that the people who are worried about Obama taking their gerns are going to snatch up all the ammo, so they need to run out and snatch up a lot of ammo before the people who are worried about Obama can snatch up the ammo, thus depriving other people of ammo.
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                Or they can just wait for more ammunition to get manufactured. If you can't go a while without shooting guns something is wrong with you.
                It's a hobby, like everything else. I shoot twice a month and each time I put 200+ rounds through my AR. So it's frustrating if I can't do stuff I enjoy.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

• I find shooting entirely bizarre.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                    I find shooting entirely bizarre.
                    Then you chose a wrong career to aspire to.

Comment

• I know what you mean. I had a lot of trouble finding time to golf this year.
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Trying to get a small grouping and learning to control the rifle is fun. When I can, I'm going to try to get into medium and long range shooting, so I can learn how to estimate wind and calculate bullet drop.

Don't the marines place a huge emphasis on being able to shoot really well? More than the other branches I mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                          I know what you mean. I had a lot of trouble finding time to golf this year.
                          I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but most gunowners that own MSRs own them just to go to the range and shoot at pieces of paper, which is what they're into. It's a expensive hobby, and as the 2008 election showed it can get more expensive very quickly if the lemmings panic.

Comment

• I dunno what it meant; it just came out.
                            Another form of expensive target-shooting? That I miss when I can't find the time for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                              How many animals kill other animals for pure sport?

Someone doesn't own a cat.

I have tremendous hand/eye coordination and always won at Duck Hunt against my brother. I would be a legend if I cared to do trap shooting.
                              Yes, pointing a IR blaster at a TV is obviously exactly the same as a firearm with recoil, bullet drop, etc.

I bet you thought that the part of Back to the Future Three where Marty turned out to be a crack shot thanks to video games was less science fiction-y then the time travelling part.

Comment

• Recoil is only a problem if you're a *****.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X