Another one of my job-skill threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one of my job-skill threads

It's that time again...time for me to fret about maybe getting meaningful job skills. Maybe it'll come to something this time. Anyway, the wife and I have a fair amount of savings left, though we're basically treading water on my current wages. The wife suggests that I should go back to community college and get some kind of certification. Maybe try out a couple of different things to see what suits me. I'll almost certainly qualify for a Pell Grant with my measly income.

My brother is in the Army, and he recommends "information assurance," i.e. cybersecurity, certification. I think this is largely because it's what he does--he also thought I should join the Army, and I do not belong there--but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. It looks like I can get that cert for sixteen credit-hours or so, perhaps more if I'm going for one of the more advanced certs. I asked about programming, and he said they generally ask for a full degree for that sort of job. I've heard otherwise here and don't know what to believe--but I don't think programming is my thing anyway. Last time I looked into it, I couldn't find a Java tutorial written in frigging English.

Other possibilities include becoming a sysadmin or some other technical but non-programming field. I've known at least a few people who, while not stupid, were not rocket scientists and did well as sysadmins, so it doesn't seem intimidating. Or I could try accounting-type work. AACC offers a crap-ton of certifications. I may just dabble for a semester to see what interests me.

Any further advice? I know I've asked multiple times before. I don't think I have any prospects beyond MAYBE getting a bank job, and I think retail/customer service in general doesn't play to my strengths. By that, I mean I don't do bull**** very well. I'm actually decent at the part where you tactfully explain to the angry customer that he's an idiot and his problems are his fault--it's all in the phrasing--but the corporate culture of duplicity, incompetence, insincerity, and mediocrity that flourishes in such places disgusts me.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I'm a network admin, and it's really an easy job. And one that you should not pay money to get into.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Oh, I'm sure I could learn it on the job easily enough. I'm not a dunce, I could learn a lot of things. But I need some proof of that to get my foot in the door, unless you think I should write my IQ and SAT scores on my resume and see if that works.
      1011 1100

Comment

Get some microsoft/cisco certifications maybe? Install linux on your computer and play with it. Try to set up Apache, Xen virtual machines, and other common software packages.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

What education do you have? If you don't have a 2-year degree, then you should probably get one in a reasonably technical field (e.g. the community college near me offers associates' degrees in computer support, information security, and network administration, either of which can get your foot in the door and none of which will require you to learn programming). I've worked with IT people who have associates' degrees, but I don't think I've ever worked with one who only had a HS diploma / GED.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

He has an English BA I think.

That should be no problem if he has the skills. One of my friends had a History degree and did a PhD in nuclear physics + GR postdoc + now has job as atmospheric physicist.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              He has an English BA I think.

That should be no problem if he has the skills. One of my friends had a History degree and did a PhD in nuclear physics + GR postdoc + now has job as atmospheric physicist.

JM
              That requires some serious math skills, though.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Yeah, he doesn't need a technical degree to get a technical job, I just meant that if he only had a hs diploma then he really ought to get a degree and it might as well be a technical one. An English degree is good enough, though.

Try skimming a library book on network administration or system administration or whatever, see if they're up your alley
                Last edited by loinburger; October 23, 2012, 17:31.
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  That requires some serious math skills, though.
                  Also, depending on what science you go into, the job locations are limited. I have a friend that does solar physics research at a company that is contracted by governments, private companies. Has to work in locales with solar observatories which rules out parts of the country.
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I'm getting a degree in network & systems administration and the curriculum is pretty damn useful and has been very helpful in finding summer jobs I'm also studying computer science so that may be part of it.

Comment

One of my friends had a History degree and did a PhD in nuclear physics + GR postdoc + now has job as atmospheric physicist.
                      Really? I'd like to hear more about this fellow. Sounds like an interesting person. Did he do any physics undergrad?
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Well, if you're not a people person, elok, accounting is boring, but practical. Always a nice pet to have and certification does not take a long time to get.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

MRT, is this you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	devotion_to_duty.png
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	9094027
                          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            MRT, is this you?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]172787[/ATTACH]
                            Almost...although ****s about 10 fold less intense and I don't take my job that seriously. Except when I do.

Comment

System administration is more about being crushed between users and management.

Comment

Working...
                              X