Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between Californian universities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
    Yeah, you guys haven't been capitalist long enough for the book industry to work its way into your universities. Here you're required often to buy ~$100 worth of books per class... and it's because the professors are the authors (not necessarily of your books, though often) that they help keep this system alive. They also 'revise' them (mostly by changing the examples around, or putting the after-chapter questions in a different order) every couple of years so used books are as limited in value as possible.
    Of course the profs endlessly recommend you buy their books, but they can't make you, since they are obliged to provide everything you have to know during the lectures.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Consider applying to something away from the east coast?? There are good schools that aren't in the east, you know...
      Wasn't interested in going that far away.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
        Of course the profs endlessly recommend you buy their books, but they can't make you, since they are obliged to provide everything you have to know during the lectures.
        Like I said... you haven't been capitalist yet for the publishers to get in fully Some universities will require professors to require books, and punish them for not doing so (presumably that's because the dept. heads and such are the people who wrote books and want their $$$...)
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          The further away, the better, IMO. If I have any say in it, my son will be going to somewhere in Europe. Create your own life and then you can realize how good it was being near home
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
            Pay for books? Here you are expected to use your lectures and library books to study. There are also "method books" that provide the overall structure of the course, but they aren't expensive.
            Here you are expected to purchase them and own them yourself. For your major you will probably want to keep the books though for the general education classes most people just sell them back to the book store (for next to nothing) or try to sell them online. There are one or two copies of each text book usually in one of the school libraries but without fail they will not be there when you need them so it is best just to buy your own.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              Pennsylvania State University
              Ohio State University
              University of Pennsylvania is better than PSU in most things save for the physical sciences/engineering. That and it has less child molesters of note.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                HC still needs his mother's help in buttoning the butt flap on his footsie pajamas
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

The further away, the better, IMO. If I have any say in it, my son will be going to somewhere in Europe. Create your own life and then you can realize how good it was being near home
                  Berkeley has one of the nicest campuses and has not only SF a BART ride away but also the city of Berkeley right there, which is awesome.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Yeah, you guys haven't been capitalist long enough for the book industry to work its way into your universities. Here you're required often to buy ~$100 worth of books per class... and it's because the professors are the authors (not necessarily of your books, though often) that they help keep this system alive. They also 'revise' them (mostly by changing the examples around, or putting the after-chapter questions in a different order) every couple of years so used books are as limited in value as possible.
                    Depends entirely on the major. If you're taking something like history, all of your materials will be available from the library.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

CSUF
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Pennsylvania State University
                        Wut? Penn State better than UPenn?

Stupid Canadians
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                        X