Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Intellectual/Writer Alive Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Intellectual/Writer Alive Today?

Thomas Sowell's books are surely the most refreshing and cogent analyses I have read on any subject in a while. Books like this:
    Basic Economics
    Intellectuals and Society
    Black Rednecks and White Liberals

-outline the plain truth in plain words.

Is there any better non-fiction writer alive today in non-fiction, history or politics?
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Your favourite dead non-fiction writer being Adolf Hitler for his gripping work Mein Kampf right?

Comment

Since we all know Conservatives are racist, I'm going to nominate Clarence Thomas.

Dead - that's a hard choice.

Mises for economics, von Ranke for history, Chesterton for everything else.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Noam Chomsky?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Noam Chomsky?

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Can I nominate theologians?

If so, N.T. Wright is my pick: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N.T._Wright
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Docfeelgood

/thread
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                Noam Chomsky?

JM
                His work on universal grammar is apparently very good, but if you're talking about his politics....

When it comes to politics, he's basically just another lefty university idiot.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                  Noam Chomsky?

JM
                  lolololololololol

Comment

Scott Sumner!
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Bill Nye the Science Guy
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                        Scott Sumner!
                        Really?

If he were alive, I might say Milton Friedman.

Noam Chomsky is one of the obvious ones that I know that is still alive. Others would be Dawkins, Umberto Eco (I didn't realize he was still alive), Lee Smolin, ...

Actually, this (ignoring the people I never heard of) would be a good starting list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_200...llectuals_Poll

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar View Post
                          Scott Sumner!
                          Really?

If he were alive, I might say Milton Friedman.

Noam Chomsky is one of the obvious ones that I know that is still alive. Others would be Dawkins, Umberto Eco (I didn't realize he was still alive), Lee Smolin, ...

Actually, this (ignoring the people I never heard of) would be a good starting list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_200...llectuals_Poll

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I forgot that he was still alive.

My vote goes to Freeman Dyson.

Great guy (watched the matrix with him), futurist, mathematician, physicist, is brilliant, religious....

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I forgot that he was still alive.

My vote goes to Freeman Dyson.

Great guy (watched the matrix with him), futurist, mathematician, physicist, is brilliant, religious....

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X