No announcement yet.

Thank you, labor unions ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once saw an op-ed piece on the anniversary of some civil war thing that said that Wal-Mart is the second Southern invasion or something, re-instituting slavery across the country in its inexorable spread.

Comment

I stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
        If you have useful employable skills you can just leave and seek a new employer who's willing to pay more for you.
        In my business (acting/producing) it really helps to have set, agreed upon, ratified standards. The average theatre acting contract is about 8 weeks. Therefore an actor will want several gigs per year. Starting negotiations from scratch every couple of months would be exhausting. Also, as a producer, you can actually budget your production if you know how much the labour will cost, and decide what talent you can afford.

There are non-union theatres and production houses (all of the Wal*mart and MacDonalds commercials are non-union) but prepare to be drastically under paid if you work for them.
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
          Why the hell wouldn't you be? I'd be furious if the government told me I wasn't allowed to work as hard as I want.
          Those laws are for our protection, so that companies no longer work their employees to death, paying the employees fifty cents an hour.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm so glad the government is around to protect me from obviously bad choices. I have news for you: No one can force you to work harder than you want to. It might be hard for a lazy person to find a job, however.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I'm so glad the government is around to protect me from obviously bad choices. I have news for you: No one can force you to work harder than you want to. It might be hard for a lazy person to find a job, however.
              Shut up or I will slap your face until it turns to jelly. Laziness has nothing to do with current unemployment for most people.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                Shut up or I will slap your face until it turns to jelly. Laziness has nothing to do with current unemployment for most people.
                HC hasn't spent much time in the real world.
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I'm so glad the government is around to protect me from obviously bad choices.
                  Without it you'd be crying for it. You could move somewhere where there are little to no protections for workers if you want to prove otherwise. Of course you won't do so, because such places are invariably ****holes where most everyone would leave if they actually had a choice. Instead you'll take your silver spoon and use it to fling **** at the less fortunate, mocking them for not having choices (and glorifying that they don't have a choice with statements like "it would be bad if they were paid more") because they didn't get so lucky in the nature their birth as you did.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]172493[/ATTACH]
                    That's right, it wasn't the government, which in fact helped fight the unions at the time.

Thanks for your assistance in this!
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                      For the second time this thread, that's not what I said.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                        Without it you'd be crying for it. You could move somewhere where there are little to no protections for workers if you want to prove otherwise. Of course you won't do so, because such places are invariably ****holes where most everyone would leave if they actually had a choice. Instead you'll take your silver spoon and use it to fling **** at the less fortunate, mocking them for not having choices (and glorifying that they don't have a choice with statements like "it would be bad if they were paid more") because they didn't get so lucky in the nature their birth as you did.
                        Exactly. HC does not have a good grasp on real life. He talks as if underpaid, and exploited employees in United States, and especially in other parts of the world, have meaningful choices.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Exactly. HC does not have a good grasp on real life. He talks as if underpaid, and exploited employees in United States, and especially in other parts of the world, have meaningful choices.
                          What makes you qualified to determine if these people have meaningful choices?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                            What makes you qualified to determine if these people have meaningful choices?
                            He has a doctorate in Meaningful Choicology. This is a compulsory part of the school curriculum in all Republican states. Students learn that people choose to be poor, choose to be gay, and some women choose to be raped - the ones who become pregnant, of course.

Comment

While there may be a relatively few instances (especially in regards to illegal immigrants) of underpaid/exploited workers in the US, for the most part anyone with a job (even flipping burgers) in the US is really quite well-off. (Even in regards to healthcare issues due to bankruptcy protections.)

Comment

If you would be intellectually honest you should say that the governement does not forbid you to work long hours. It is just that it makes it impossible for your employer to fire you without consequences if you don't work long hours.

Again, only if you would be intellectually honest.

However, since you have not yet worked a day in your life, and since daddy covered all your needs without you ever having to break a sweat, it is very difficult for you to know what you are talking about. So I guess it is just stupidity and not dishonesty that you display here.
                                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                                X