Misanthropythreadi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misanthropythreadi

Just a quick and radically unscientific poll to satisfy my idle curiosity. I didn't include a "neither positive nor negative" option because screw that. Take your fence-sitting ass back to CFC if you don't want to take a vigorous, cantankerous stance on the issue. If you absolutely must hem and haw, I've included a banana option.

To be clear, I'm asking, "When you think of humanity, do you think more of positive things (creativity, cooperation, the arts and sciences, historical progress, enlightenment) or negative things (greed, cruelty, depravity, small-mindedness, xenophobia)?" This poll does not concern itself with degrees of positivity/negativity; pick whichever dominates your perception of our species, by whatever amount. I leave "religious" or "not religious" to self-identification. If you're "spiritual but not religious," I'd call that religious for my purposes, but go with whatever grouping catches your fancy. Thanks!
    POSITIVE, and I am religious
    11.54%
    POSITIVE, and I am not religious
    42.31%
    NEGATIVE, and I am religious
    11.54%
    NEGATIVE, and I am not religious
    26.92%
    Totally BANANAS
    7.69%
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I find it difficult to make such a blanket statement about everyone.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I do not.

**** everyone, everywhere, always.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

My views on "All Of Humanity, Past Present and Future," are somewhat more negative than positive. My views on "that part of humanity with which I've had first-hand experience" are much more positive than negative. I'd say that the latter trumps the former.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Agreed.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

My stance has always been that I have a positive view of humanity's potential, but a negative view of humanity itself.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think humans are basically good people, and you all have high standards.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I'm going to go with positive but people are so ****ing very weak. I think that's the problem with humans. Weakness.
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What's there to say? We're animals. Not that being animals is a bad thing, of course.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    Yes, I also agree that most humans abide by the moral system humans invented that deems the behavior most humans engage in to be moral.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think humans are basically good people,

So young.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

What standard should we be judging by? If it's "acts no worse than the average person," it's utterly impossible for humans as a whole to be bad people.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

People are awesome. Sexy demi-gods who can manipulate matter, create life, gather data for the universe about itself, and generally do no wrong even when they ignore the main thrust of the OP.

Comment

Who's the other Hobbesian?
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                              Who's the other Hobbesian?
                              Elok, you fool. Learn to use the internet

Comment

Working...
                              X