No announcement yet.

Krazyhorse and other people with physics background please answer my question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krazyhorse and other people with physics background please answer my question

Is 100% renewable energy possible or will civilization go Mad Max when we begin running out of oil and I should sell all my properties and buy guns and farmland next to a river with an electric dam in order to survive in the post apocaliptic society?

So this is basically about investments
    I need a foot massage

Eventually the sun will run out of fuel and die. You might want to work on that.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Put your head between your legs, and kiss your ass good-bye. No, I'm not a scientist.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
        Is 100% renewable energy possible or will civilization go Mad Max when we begin running out of oil and I should sell all my properties and buy guns and farmland next to a river with an electric dam in order to survive in the post apocaliptic society?

Newton says that 100% renewable energy is not possible. But who knows what has changed since then?
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It's possible, but the grid is still way cheaper (both economically and probably environmentally), so you have to have to be committed to make it stick.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Just ask Ben, he'll give you a good science-related answer. Best part is that the same answer applies to any question.

("Jesus Did it.")
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Invest in gold, then you can use it to buy things in the post-apocalyptic world.

You: Hey, can I buy some guns and ammo with my gold?
              Road Warrior: [shoots you, takes your gold]
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Yeah, gold and silver is really for that time in between loss of faith in fiat currency and total anarchy. About 3-6 months.

Comment

In Lucifer's Hammer, one of the groups of survivors had invested in things like alcohol and black pepper (along with guns and ammo, but the guns and ammo were for shooting people e.g. a local gang of cannibals, not for bartering)
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

That makes sense as well.

Comment

100 percent renewable energy isn't even difficult with sufficient acreage.

Ride a horse with a carriage into the local grocery. Stock up on non-perishables. Ride back.

Between hay/oats for your horse and trees for wood, you're pretty much set. Replant what you've chopped down, and with enough space, you'll have enough to be self sustaining for energy.

To raise enough for food, you'll want a garden, and raising small animals like chickens or whatnot. Stock up on seeds, but the thing you really want are the hard to replace tools. They will be far more valuable than gold/silver since they won't be easily replaced.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

That was idiotic, even for the forum idiot.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If we filled a volcano with sand and afterwards it erupted, what would be the result?
                          Would it explode downwards, and what would be the result; or would it still blow up and what would be the result? If it explodes up, would it heat the sand to shards of glass raining down?
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

100% renewable energy isn't possible because of the 2nd law of thermodynamics. That said, the timescale for us running out of energy is in the billions of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                              100% renewable energy isn't possible because of the 2nd law of thermodynamics. That said, the timescale for us running out of energy is in the billions of years.
                              You didn't understand the question. He means can we survive without nonrenewable energy.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X